> It is NOT insulting to say that people who still insist on using command
> line tools are living in the past for the simple reason that the command
> line interface was replaced with the GUI when the Windows OS was released
> in the 1990s. That is 25 years ago. Is that in the past or what? Without a
> GUI Windows would not be the success it is today.
>
> --
> Tony Marston

Well, many would take that as a bit insulting, but if it isn't then I'd
free to comment that your statements about command lines are parochial,
uninformed, ignorant, and indicative of small scale development mindset
that has never seen large scale & repeatable development that works well.
When Windows joined the Web Server market in the 90's, the administration
and deployment of web sites took a step backwards from the viewpoint of
many ISPs. Items that had been automated now had to be done by hand because
the GUI was the only way to setup/admin websites. It took year for
Microsoft to get even half way there.

FYI, Unix actually had GUIs before Windows. GUis are older than Windows,
DOS, PHP, Linux, does that make people using them "living in the past?"
 The GUI complements the command line in Unix/MacOS, it is WIndows/DOS were
the command line was done so poorly for decades that causes PC users to
have lost sight to the value of the command line. But this a common item
found in the Unix world, those that don't understand are blind to the power
that it has. Microsoft was this way for decades, until it recovered the
clue 5-10 years ago and started making automation thought command line
applications a thing again with Powershell.

At some point, you might thing about breaking out of the narrow
shell/straight-jacket that a GUI only existence imposes on people and look
at the power and freedom that a mixed approach allows. Or not, as I'm sure
your customers/boss don't care about the extra costs that a GUI can impose
as are likely as blind to costs of a GUI only world as well.

My opinion is that you are a GUI only user that is scared of the command
line and is worried that your simplified GUI tool will stop working as the
rest of the group continues to race past you using a mix of GUI and command
line tools. If this is the case, learning a bit about the command line
tools will be you best insurance against issues the the GUI tools breaking.

Walter

--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis