Hi,

>>> It cannot not produce unique ID by default as name "uniqid()" implies.
>>> Reason is described in the RFC. Please read RFC because it's the
>>> official proposal.
>>
>> I had read it, of course.  But I could not understand why you chose BC
>> break way.
>
> IMHO, 10 bits (about a million) entropy is not considered enough
> entropy, do you?

Do you say about extra part which is added by "more_entropy" option?

Current "more_entropy" part (10 bytes) pattern is "n.nnnnnnnn" and its
variation is 10^9 (1 billion) as written in your RFC.  (about 30bits?)

I think it is enough to avoid collision in the same usec, for
non-security purpose.

> How serious BC is?

You should already know that this BC-breack breaks existing
valid PHP codes in some situation.  (DB error, test failure, etc.)

BC-breack may be acceptable if the change is clearly greate improvement
or obviously necessary.  But this change is not, I think.

> It's much less impact than using mt_rand() all over
> the code. i.e. rand() and mt_rand() is predictable random generator.

Sorry, I cannot understand what you say...  (Why mt_rand?)

--
Kazuo Oishi