On 13.10.2016 at 22:28, Kalle Sommer Nielsen wrote:

>> I suggest to deprecate png2wbmp() and jpeg2wbmp() as of PHP 7.2 and to
>> remove the functions as of PHP 8.0.
>>
>> Both functions are very special for ext/gd; there are no other direct
>> conversion functions, and even their names do not start with "image"
>> like all other ext/gd functions, except gd_info().  Implementing a
>> fallback in userland would be trivial (besides an issue with
>> image2wbmp(), see <https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=73317>).
>> Furthermore, WBMP supposedly isn't really important nowadays.
>
> +1, I even think that 7.3 should have them removed.

Frankly, I think these functions should have been removed with PHP 7.0.
However, that didn't happen, and so we'd have to adhere to our release
process[1]:

 * x.y.z to x.y+1.z
   * API compatibility must be kept (userland)

> Besides png2wbmp()
> and jpeg2wbmp(), I'd like for you to add image2wbmp() to that list
> too.

Actually, I agree that we should remove this function.  However, it is
supposed to offer the easy fallback for the other functions, so keeping
it would be helpful to provide efficient userland replacements, if it
will be fixed[2].  Otherwise it's useless anyway, and we might consider
to introduce something like

  imagefilter($im, IMG_FILTER_BLACK_AND_WHITE, $threshold)

[1] <https://wiki.php.net/rfc/releaseprocess>
[2] <https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=73317>

--
Christoph M. Becker