On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 8:56 PM, François Laupretre <franc...@php.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it was stated during the pre-7 discussions, that this flag would be kept
> for possible future unicode-compliant developments. So, people needing
> binary strings are still encouraged to use the flag, even if it is not used
> in the current versions.
>
> Regards
>
> François

I don't remember any specific on-list discussion on this topic, but my
general understanding is that at this point the unicode by default approach
has sailed. We may see something like u"" literals in the future (iirc this
was suggested during the UString discussion), but we quite certainly are
not going to change the default interpretation of strings -- it would cause
too much breakage.

Nikita