Hi Leigh,

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Leigh <lei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You _do_ have to care if it fails. This is a breaking change if it is
> not handled. mt_rand is _not_ a CSPRNG, and therefore the absence of a
> CSPRNG should not make mt_rand unusable.

If we consider mt_rand only, your statement is true.

However, PHP as a whole cannot work reliable way w/o CSPRNG and today's
standard requires working CSPRNG, doesn't it?

If PHP cannot work properly, I don't see the point to make mt_rand work.

I don't mind too much about falling back to very weak mt_rand result, but
I just don't see the point allowing very weak result than it should/can be.

How many of us are willing to allow very weak mt_rand fallback?
This could be RFC vote option, if there are few.

Regards,

P.S. Please note that number of E_ERRORs were added recently when
something goes wrong in fatal way . Compare to these, very rarely raised
security concerned fatal exception is nothing. IMHO.

--
Yasuo Ohgaki
yohg...@ohgaki.net