On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Craig Duncan <p...@duncanc.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi internals.
>
> As my initial thread about introducing warnings to the JSON functions was
> not immediately flooded with disagreement I took the liberty of creating an
> RFC for official discussion.
>
> The proposal is to have `json_encode()` and `json_decode()` raise warnings
> whenever a failure occurs, instead of requiring the developer to call
> `json_last_error()` each time.
>
> The functionality of `json_last_error()` and `json_last_error_msg()` are
> unaffected and they can still be used in exactly the same way they are
> today
>
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/json_encode_decode_errors
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

Operations that are expected to fail should never generate warnings. We
should not design functions such that their correct use requires the use of
the error suppression operator.

I certainly agree that the current situation is not good and that the json
functions really ought to be throwing exceptions, but adding a warning now
is only going to make this worse.

Nikita