On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Alexei Gerasimov <encla...@safe-mail.net>
wrote:

> > Let's not forget PHP 5 has been around for over a decade before PHP 7
> even
> > showed up. There are still a lot of old code basis that've been running
> in
> > PHP 5 for years. And for large code basis with deep rooted legacy, it is
> no
> > short order to make the leap. Change for the sake of change won't help
> that.
>
> I lost it here. I'm proposing a backward-compatible change, so why speak of
> legacy and existing codebases?

There's no argument that the change is not forward-compatible. I'm merely
pointing out the burden of adding new language features. This is not to
deter from adding them, but to caution against excess. There is a cost to
learning a new language feature, updating its documentation, considering
its trade offs in software design, etc... Part of this cost is shared
between those who maintain PHP and those who use PHP.

My statements here are intended to be cautionary, not dissuasive.