Hi!

> During the discussion of PR 3080[1] the idea to replace our bundled
> libgd with an (unmodified) upstream libgd[2] has come up again.  It
> seems this issue deserves its own discussion, and probably an RFC.

I think this is a good idea. In general, as open source ecosystem
matures (and more and more people move to use established OSS vendors or
non-OSS vendors well-integrated into OSS system, like macOS/homebrew
setups) most people move to use distributions which supply wide array of
libraries usually covering ones that we used to bundle, and often doing
better job in keeping with updates and security fixes than we can. So in
general I think phasing out bundling, unless absolutely necessary, is
the idea whose time has come.

> bundled libgd)[5].  Another important difference is that our bundled
> libgd uses ZendMM, but upstream libgd does not[6].

This one we need to find a solution for. GD is often exposed to the
unfiltered user input, has a potential to consume large amounts of
memory and not having ZendMM memory limits in place can be a serious issue.

> For most Linux environments PHP is built with an upstream (system)
> libgd; on Windows usually the bundled libgd is used.  Users targeting

Windows is another concern - are there viable solutions for non-bundled
GD for Windows that we can recommend to the users? If not, that means we
still have to keep and maintain bundled GD, and if so, there's no point
to spend any time on un-bundling before we find solution to this.

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com