Den 2019-01-28 kl. 16:38, skrev Zeev Suraski:
I would like to make two changes to this header:

1. Change "PHP Version 7" line to just "PHP", to avoid the necessity of
updating this for
new major versions. I don't think the version information here is particularly
useful to
anybody.
I don't mind that much, but I don't see any issue with keeping it the way it is
either.  It does look nicer the way it is now IMHO, and the cost associated
with changing it twice a decade is, well, not very substantial.

2. Remove the "Copyright (c) 1997-2018 The PHP Group" line. Apart from
requiring a
yearly update, this line is actually complete misinformation, because the PHP
group
does *not* hold the copyright for the PHP source code. This would require a
copyright
assignment agreement on behalf of all contributors, which we do not collect.

We could also just drop the header entirely, I'm just proposing these two
changes as
the path of least resistance towards getting the "annoying" parts removed.
I'm no lawyer, but I do believe a case can be made for claiming that a person
putting code into files with the header 'Copyright (c) XYZ', is in fact
implicitly assigning copyright to XYZ.  So while it's not as strong as an
explicit copyright assignment, and while it was never tested in court (and
hopefully never will be) - I do see value in keeping it.  I certainly don't see
a reason to change it after 20 years where it didn't seem to bother anybody,
unless there's a strong reason to do that, which currently I don't see.

Zeev

I think you have a very good point here. The license file also
refers to the PHP Group, so removing it in header files might
indirectly affect license statement.

r//Björn Larsson