On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 at 09:47, Yasuo Ohgaki <yohg...@ohgaki.net> wrote:

> Aliases may stay defined 10, 20 years or even forever for POSIX(IEEE)
> names.
> So there wouldn't be compatibility issues for CODING_STANDARD names.

I think this would be the worst of both worlds. We would have to
permanently document two different names for every function, examples
(outside of php.net) would still have the old names in, people would
disagree about which to use, and the situation would be more confusing to
new users, not less. This already happens with count() vs sizeof() - people
get used to one or the other, and are confused when they see the other in
someone else's code.

> Bottom line is almost all developers dislike inconsistent names, prefer
> to enter extra few chars.

I think almost all developers would like to spend their effort making
material improvements to the robustness or functionality of their code.
That might include replacing htmlspecialchars with a smarter escaping or
"taint" tracking system; but it woudln't include renaming it in all their
code bases, or debating which of two valid names to use in a new codebase.

Let's focus our effort on writing improved features, and giving them good
names, and if that means some of the older functions become less necessary,
that's a bonus.

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins