On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 7:39 PM Stanislav Malyshev <smalys...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > This test passes a certain set of input values of different types to a
> > function with a zpp string argument and observes the behavior. Of course,
> > there are also hundreds of other functions that accept strings through
> zpp
> > and the behavior is always going to be the same.
>
> This is true for functions that use standard zpp handling, but there are
> a number of them that use custom zpp handling, and for those there could
> be corner cases which aren't handled properly. In fact, I've seen some
> zpp-using functions that so not properly handle nulls, empty strings,
> etc. as arguments (zpp works fine, it's the part past zpp that fails).
> So we need to be careful and remove only those tests that are indeed
> handled by zpp and not the code beyond it that does need to be tested,
> and not remove tests which cover custom argument handling.

Yes, we shouldn't remove tests for custom argument handling. I've started
working on this in https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/3783 and try to
check for all tests whether this is a simple zpp argument or not. I'm also
switching some cases to use zpp on the PHP 8 branch, where functions had
some custom argument handling for no good reason.

Nikita