On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 11:31 PM Christoph M. Becker <cmbecke...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> On 16.07.2018 at 19:00, Nikita Popov wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to open the vote on the RFC for the deprecation (in PHP
> 7.3)
> >> and removal (in PHP 8.0) of case-insensitive constants.
> >>
> >> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/case_insensitive_constant_deprecation
> >>
> >> If you missed the discussion for this RFC, you can read up on it here:
> >>
> >> https://externals.io/message/102389
> >>
> >> As this is a language change, the vote requires a 2/3 supermajority. The
> >> vote will be open until 2018-07-09.
> >>

> > I'm happy to announce that this RFC has been accepted unanimously with 39
> > votes in favor and 0 against.
>
> I just learned that com_load_typelib()[1] automatically registers enum
> members as constants, and allows to register them as case-insensitive
> (the default is case-sensitive, despite the documentation, which I'm
> going to fix right away).  If a typelib is implicitly loaded,
> com.autoregister_casesensitive[2] controls whether constants are
> registered case-sensitively or not.  It seems to me com_load_typelib()
> should trigger a deprecation warning, if FALSE is passed as second
> argument, and also disabling com.autoregister_casesensitive should.
>
> Can this be amemded for PHP 7.3.3, or are there any objections?
>
> [1] <http://php.net/manual/en/function.com-load-typelib.php>
> [2]
> <
> http://php.net/manual/en/com.configuration.php#ini.com.autoregister-casesensitive

Thanks for pointing this out! Agree that both of those should be deprecated
... in fact the necessary for code handling case-insensitive constants is
already gone in master, so they'll definitely have to go as well.

Personally I think it would be best to add the deprecations in 7.4, as
there's no particular rush and we usually don't add deprecations in patch
releases. I don't have a problem with them being added in 7.3.3 either
though, this is not exactly prime functionality and we're early in the
release cycle...

Nikita