On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 04:31, Sara Golemon <poll...@php.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 6:45 PM Stanislav Malyshev <smalys...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > This is not Twitter and not any
> > other forum where such things are welcome.
> >

> I want to apologize for my behavior on this thread. I know you're directing
> your message at another party, but I was churlish and instigative. I really
> should have exercised more patience and decorum, and for that I'm sorry.

Hi Sara,

Thanks for owning your mistake.

There's definitely a temptation to be dismissive when a new user raises a
suggestion that seems "obviously" untenable, either because it's been
discussed to death already, or there's a flaw they haven't considered,
because engaging can feel like "a waste of time". It's a shame when this
ends up chasing away users who make those suggestions in good faith, rather
than encouraging them to learn and contribute more.

One problem is that we don't really have anywhere to direct new users - we
can tell them to raise an RFC rather than continuing the discussion, but
that doesn't really solve anything. What we really need is a way of
welcoming people, and giving them an idea of which ideas are more likely to
be popular, and how to frame them to avoid immediate objections. At the
moment, you can only really find that out by lurking on the list for about
a year.

I've thought before about putting together some kind of FAQ; the biggest
problem would be representing previous discussions without making them feel
like solid policies; it should be "here are some objections that are likely
to be raised", not "here are the reasons you can never do this ever".

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]