Hello,
On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 at 03:57, Morgan Breden <morganbre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >If you want to go further, dropping the PHP tag altogether would be nice,
> since it would prevent context switching between PHP/HTML/JS/whatever.
> >That would force Wordpress to update their whole
> code base. >:{)>
>
> I wholeheartedly support this initiative but I do not see it going through
> without a lot of resistance. Using PHP itself as a templating engine is
> part of what makes it so "newbie friendly".

I think using PHP tags for templates and option to write code without
opening tag might go through also. After all, text files are simple.

Something on this was already being done and probably also discussed:
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/nophptags

On the other hand, shebangs will still be present in CLI scripts. For example:
#!/usr/bin/env php

--
Peter Kokot