On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 at 11:20, Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com> wrote:

> The ==> syntax is the other one I implemented (
> https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/3945). The implementation is based on
> lexer lookahead, which is ugly but still manageable. I haven't seen much
> support for this variant in this discussion though. And of course, if
> there's no strong preference for ==>, I'd rather go with the variant that
> is easier for us (and all 3rd party tooling) to support from a technical
> perspective.

I'd just like to amplify this mention of 3rd party tooling: if we go with
something which requires complex lexer/parser rules, then every editor,
IDE, and static analysis tool will need to also work with that syntax.

For those saying they "slightly prefer" ==> please ask yourself, do you
prefer it enough to add complexity to every tool that wants to process PHP
source code?

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins