I also am old enough to have used/remember using BASIC. I remember German
and Japanese friends that wrote in BASIC. It was interesting to see German
programs where all the keywords were in English and all the text was in
German. The Japanese was even more strange as the system had to switch
between the code pages for ASCII/LATIN and the one for the Japanese
Language.

Today to get something other an ASCII/LATIN, we would have to support
Unicode for source code. Does PHP currently work if Unicode is used for
identifiers?

Walter

--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis