On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 1:55 PM Zeev Suraski <z...@php.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 1:28 PM Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have now made the following changes to the RFC:
>>
>>  * Removed enable_dl deprecation. The fact that dl() is currently
>> available
>> by default on CGI, which is a server SAPI, makes this more dicey and needs
>> more careful consideration. As this RFC needs to go to vote today, I'm
>> going with the conservative option of dropping it from the RFC.
>>  * Removed register_argc_argv change from the RFC. This was not really a
>> deprecation, so does not belong here. We'll likely just want to make the
>> necessary changes in PHP 8.
>>  * Removed the INPUT_SESSION + INPUT_REQUEST deprecations. These have been
>> warning since forever, so going through an additional deprecation phase
>> makes no sense. I went ahead and removed them in PHP 8.
>>  * For the deprecation of implode() with inverted parameter order,
>> explicitly point out that the single-argument form is not deprecated.
>>  * Various text improvements that do not change the content of the RFC.
>>
>> I will start voting on this RFC later today so we make feature freeze.
>>

> Nikita, Kalle,
>
> None of my feedback was even responded to.
>
> There's something fundamentally flawed in the way deprecations are being
> treated.  If there's no compelling case to deprecate, we shouldn't
> deprecate - it's that simple. Someone's (or even many people's) opinion
> about the standard library is not a compelling reason.  That can be a
> reason not to add something new - but absolutely not to remove existing
> functionality and break users' code.
>
> convert_cyr_string(), hebrev() and hebrevc() shouldn't even be considered
> for deprecation.  They don't clear the most basic requirement for
> deprecation - which is having some sort of negative impact to keeping them
> / positive impact from removing them.  There is none.  It shouldn't even be
> up for a vote.

I've read your feedback, but didn't feel that a response would be
productive. There's a difference in philosophy here that we have already
discussed many times in the past, and I don't think discussing it one more
time will change things.

There are broadly two reasons to deprecate: The first is to remove
technical debt in php-src itself. The second is to discourage bad practice
and encourage migration to better alternatives. You clearly do not see
value in the latter, and I can certainly see where you're coming from with
that, but please let people make their own value judgement here, rather
than saying that it "shouldn't even be considered".

is_writeable() should also be removed from the list as contrary to the
> premise of the RFC, it is not a spelling mistake (
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/writeable /
> https://www.dictionary.com/browse/writeable).  Even if it was - it's
> hardly sufficient enough a reason to deprecate it.  There's zero, absolute
> zero upside from deprecating it, so it doesn't clear the basic requirement
> for deprecation.  This one is probably the least important one from the
> list since the fix is easy (unlike the ones above - where it's anywhere
> between a small and very big headache).  Still, it's based on a bogus
> premise and there's simply no reason to do it.

I went ahead and dropped this from the RFC. Quite a few people have
expressed concerns about this particular deprecation -- it almost seems
like a religious question...

Nikita