On Mon, July 8, 2019 at 9:10 AM Sara Golemon <poll...@php.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 7, 2019 at 3:45 PM Theodore Brown <theodor...@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> > For those voting against adding these functions, can you clarify why?
>
> Explaining my non-vote. I'm explicitly abstaining as I don't see the
> value in these functions (I'd rather see a community driven library
> which does the same thing in a more agile way), but neither do I see
> much intrinsic harm in allowing these functions in.

Thanks Sara. I understand your perspective of not wanting to add more
functions to PHP core which can be easily implemented in userland.

However, when it comes to basic string functions which are needed in
almost every script, I don't think it makes sense to ask users to
depend on an extra library for this. Almost every other language
has built-in functions for simply checking if a string starts or ends
with another string.

Best regards,
Theodore