On 23 July 2019 18:54:48 BST, "G. P. B." <george.bany...@gmail.com> wrote:
>The only point of contention of this RFC that I potentially see is the
>removal in PHP 8.1 after short open tags being a Parse Error in PHP 8.0
>instead of it being removed in PHP 9 after it having had a whole major
>version release cycle.

Given that you've already predicted that this will be controversial, could you
provide some rationale for it? Unless there's a major burden in maintaining the
parser error behaviour for a few years, waiting for the next major version
would seem both safer and more in line with official versioning policy.

As with deprecation itself, any violation of the "no breaking changes" rule,
however slight, should have an explicit justification. If I had a vote, any RFC
omitting such a justification would receive an automatic "no" from me.

Regards,

--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]