On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 at 09:12, Michał Brzuchalski <mic...@brzuchalski.com>
wrote:

> 1) Packages should be non-hierarchical. Perhaps most simply a package name
>> could have exactly two parts, like in composer, so it's clear that there is
>> no implied relationship between two packages.
>>

> IMO this would create a lot of problems cause name in Composer Package
> doesn't reflect used namespace declared in autoload

I'm not saying the package name has to match the composer name, just that
the format might be similar; and I explicitly left the question open of how
package names would relate to namespaces. It might be sensible to align the
package/module name with one or other of the existing two naming schemes,
but it's certainly not essential; names in Composer are essentially
arbitrary anyway, not visible at all at run-time.

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 at 09:20, Lynn <kja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it be an idea to first establish the concept of a package within
> PHP, rather than deducting it based off a namespace? If packages would be a
> thing in PHP, other than just a namespace, package private could also be
> implemented as visibility modifier for inheritance and class visibility.

I think there's some confusion here, because establishing the concept of a
package as separate from a namespace is exactly what I proposed.

Here's a previous message (technically in the same thread, but from 18
months ago) where I also mentioned class visibility:
https://externals.io/message/101323#101390

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins