On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 4:56 PM Dan Ackroyd <dan...@basereality.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 at 09:45, Peter Kokot <peterko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, last time I was asking this, there was a clarification that
> > certain people from the group internals can veto particular RFC.
>
> Please could you point to where this alleged rule has ever been
> written down or agreed to?

There's indeed no such rule that any individuals have a veto power.

> Although certain people may have claimed this is a rule, it's never
> been agreed afaik.

I'm not aware of anybody who ever claimed that such a rule existed,
either.  If people are alluding to me - then I don't claim I can veto
anything;  I think it's also clear from what I think about the short tags
deprecation RFC that *if* I had veto power, that would be an instance where
I'd use it.  The reason we went for V2 aren't because of a veto, but
because of issues in the previous RFC.

With that said - the source code of PHP is copyrighted by the PHP Group -
and it's a fact that is mentioned at the top of every PHP source file.  The
PHP Group is mostly inactive, and will likely stay this way, but under some
extreme situations - it might choose to act (if ever - probably primarily
around things that have to do with process).

I think when we adopt a Code of Conduct one of the things we need to
> make explicit is that "claiming authority that is not codified" is
> explicitly a thing that will not be allowed in internals discussions
> as it seems to keep happening and results in a lot of confusion, and
> frustration.

The more accurate word here is 'if', rather than 'when'. But I don't think
there's a need to wait for a CoC on this one - it should be clear that no
individual has veto powers, but it should be also clear that not everything
is up for a vote.

Zeev