I would say, PHP needs a direction(where're we headed?) than having a split
language.

Seriously, the core team have *tons of kudos* from the outside world(even
outside of PHP) and i think something called for those serious
implementation and i believe everyone(or simply put, the majority) one day
would see the need to make many improvements where necessary.

P++(Or other name it gets) is another project.