On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 2:28 AM Christoph M. Becker <cmbecke...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> On 22.08.2019 at 01:17, Trevor Rowbotham wrote:
> > Is there any way to increase the minimum required ICU version in PHP 7.2
> and 7.3 to
> > at least 4.6, which would ensure that the upgrade path is actually
> available to users
> > trying to avoid the deprecation notice?
>
> We usually do not raise any dependency requirements for stable release
> branches, to avoid potential BC breaks.  And after all, most of ext/intl
> is supposed to work flawlessly with such ancient ICU versions, and to be
> able to get rid of this deprecation notice, building with a newer ICU
> version is already possible (and, in my opinion, recommendable anyway).
>
> Agreed on not raising the library dependency requirement in branch, but
perhaps we can smooth the transition a little by only raising the
deprecation notice *if* the environment actually allows using the
non-deprecated behavior.  This would have the opposite impact on the active
branch of raising the dependency while still providing the facility of a
deprecation notice to builds that aren't based on ancient ICUs.

Or perhaps tailor the deprecation warning a little? (Nevermind, I just
wrote it out and it gets ugly)

Or perhaps just stick with status quo and add a note to the manual. :D

-Sara