On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 at 12:31, Peter Kokot <peterko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Plastic analogy - adding "127.0.0.1 github.com" to your /etc/hosts
> file shows that developer cannot bring most of the today's (PHP)
> projects to any working state without using it. That's what is meant
> by inevitable because everything open source today is either on GitHub
> and some minor ones scattered around custom Git repos and other Git
> hosting providers.

Ah, I see. Yes, having some usage of GitHub is currently pretty much
inevitable in that sense. Of course, that may change eventually, just as
SourceForge fell out of favour, but that's not something we need to worry
about.

However, projects over a certain size generally *don't* use it as their
main or only discussion platform, which is what we're talking about here.

> PHP is already using GitHub. Is it moving to
> something else? No, so let's not complicate things more with other
> hosting providers now.

The question is not "should PHP ban the use of GitHub for any kind of
activity?" it's "should PHP abandon the discussion processes it's been
using for most of its history and use GitHub as a discussion forum?".

As a code collaboration platform, GitHub is pretty good, but it's not built
as a discussion forum, and there are plenty of limitations to using it as
one.

Regards,
--
Rowan Tommins