> Whenever one of these errors will occur, you can initialize either the array
> key or variable with null and it will work again without changing behavior.

Whatever the case, changing warnings to errors would require fixing working
code. And for many people, that would requiring investing lots of money.

> However, I think most people agree that the quality of Wordpress code and
> Plugins is highly debatable.

That is probably very true, but it is orthogonal to whether or not certain
potential changes in PHP would cause expense changes to be implemented in order
for WordPress users to upgrade to an incompatible PHP8.

> If anything, Wordpress shouldn't be an argument to not improve PHP, though I
> think it's important to consider the impact of a change, including for the
> Wordpress community.
> I don't like the idea of not being able to progress because Wordpress users
> won't upgrade PHP.

I am not making that argument. I am simply pointing out that the changes being
considered will almost certainly break a large percentage of WordPress sites
and fixing those site will likely be very costly for site owners.

So it is up to those who have a vote on the future of PHP to decide if a large
number of broken WordPress matters to them or not.  I am just a messenger.

-Mike