> Hi!
>
> > This is true, if you know they are called a backtick. It's not a
>
> I think it's reasonable to expect some minimal level of knowledge from
> the user. We're not targeting infants in the kindergarten here. So while
> we aim to not present too many obstacles to the novice user, we can
> reasonably expect from them at least basic middle-school level knowledge
> and abilities - and occasional read of the documentation never killed
> anybody either.

Hi,

I didn't know the name of this character until several years after I
started PHP, and I only found out because a colleague pointed it out to me.
I don't think it's a good idea to assume people know the name of this
operator or known how to find it easily. Googling is a skill on its own
that not everyone masters, as much as I'd like to see this in our field. I
also don't see how school knowledge is important here, especially as I went
to school and I did not learn about it there. Besides of this, there are
also keyboard( layout)s that don't have a backtick character present.

Regards,
Lynn van der Berg