On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 3:27 PM Mark Randall <marand...@php.net> wrote:

> On 10/10/2019 23:04, Walter Parker wrote:
> > If this truly is the problem that you say it is, there should be plenty
> of
> > documentation online as to the issues that it has cause. Maybe you could
> > post some of the better cases (as the the responsibility of the person
> > suggesting the change to provide evidence that the change is a good
> idea).
>
> The top comment on our own documentation website upvoted more than a
> hundred times is people using it by accident :-)
>

> Thank you for finally providing some research data on the subject. Now we
know that in the last 13 years 103 have upvoted a comment in our
documentation about someone making a typo in their code by typing ` and it
was not simple to figure out (as they were not using an editor with syntax
highlighting).

FYI, I just Google'd ` and the first two links do give the name of the
item. The second is link to stack overflow that documents what it means and
how to use.

I admit that I've been programming since before PHP was invented. I started
with Unix shells and Perl decades ago, so ` is not a foot gun for me. It
sounds like it foot gun for many others. What I still don't know is if the
rate of foot shooting of a feature that you say is rarely used these days
outweighs the cost of breaking older code that does use it. Personally, I
think you are underestimating the cost and trouble of fixing it, but I'll
admit that I could be wrong. As I stopped supporting other people's PHP,
the costs of this vote should have little to no impact on me personally. If
It does pass, I hope the costs and trouble are as small as you seem to
think they are.

Walter