Kepner

Scientific Program Committee
             Sat Bir Khalsa, PhD, Chair
             Eleanor Criswell, EdD,
             Kim Innes MPH, PhD,
             Robert Saper, MPH, MD,
             Lynn Waede, PhD

About This Meeting
IAYT is most pleased to present our first Symposium on Yoga Research (SYR).
There were two visions for this conference.  First, we have long recognized the
value of a standalone conference for Yoga research, where researchers have many
overlapping opportunities to share their work and exchange ideas in formal and
informal ways.  Second, we have long wanted to have a Yoga conference at a
peaceful rural Yoga retreat center.

These visions came together last summer on a personal visit to the Himalayan
Institute (HI), while walking the grounds and learning more about the
fascinating history of the early Yoga research with Swami Rama.  Since HI is
now a well established Yoga retreat and training center, as well as home to a
vibrant spiritual community, it felt most natural and appealing to step into
this stream and merge these two visions on their campus.

HI truly has a lovely environment and this will be at the height of the fall
season. HI is providing veryeconomical rates for attendees to come a little
early or stay over.  May we also encourage you to do so and take full advangage
of all the campus has to offer.

Acknowledgements
It takes a lot of work to make vision happen, and we wish to recognize and
express our appreciation for the many individuals involved.
To the scientific program committee: Sat Bir Khalsa, PhD, Chair, Eleanor
Criswell, EdD, Kim Innes MPH, PhD, Robert Saper, MPH, MD, and Lynn Waelde, PhD,
for bringing together such anoutstanding set of speakers, and all the other
underlying support they are providing.
To Jean Stojkov and Linda Getz, IAYT’s long time and intrepid conference
webmaster and graphics designer, respectively. They are so creative, and always
such a pleasure to work with.
To our sponsors: the Healing Pathways Medical Clinic and the Yoga Research and
Educational Foundation; Gold Sponsors, and the American Viniyoga Institutie,
the Institute for Medical Yoga, the Integrative Restoration Institute (iRest),
YogaSolve, and Yoga Therapy Rx; Silver Sponsors.   We could not have done this
without their support.
To our partners, the Australian Association of Yoga Therapists, the National
Ayurvedic Medical Association, the Yoga Alliance and the Yoga BioMedical Trust.
 We are grateful for their support in this, and many other on-going ways.
To our media partners, Yoga Plus and Yoga Living, who have been so generous in
helping us get the word out.
To the entire Himalayan Institute staff and the vision of executive director,
Matthew Douzart, for their total support for this meeting.

In service,
Traci Childress, Conference Manager
Eleanor Criswell, EdD, President, IAYT
John Kepner, Executive Director, IAYT
Sat Bir Khalsa, PhD, Chair, Scientific Program Committee

Program

SYR begins with a preconference workshop on Friday at 1 PM. The main Symposium
begins at 4:30 pm on Friday and ends on Sunday at 12:30. SYR is a single track
event and therefore participants do not need to choose sessions. Registration
for the preconference workshop must be done separately, but can be done at the
time of registration.

Friday Preconference

1:00 pm  - 4:00 pm

Preconference Yoga Research 101
The Basics of Yoga Research for Therapists, Instructors, and New Investigators

Research Design Basics
Robert Saper, MD, MPH

Documentation, Evaluation and Measurement
Lorenzo Cohen, PhD

Reading and Interpreting the Research Literature
Kim Innes, PhD

Funding, Collaboration and Administration
Sat Bir Khalsa, PhD

Symposium - Friday, October 1, 2010
The tentative and preliminary symposium schedule is below. We will be updating
the schedule with speaker's titles in the near future.  Please check this page
for updates.

Noon    Registration and poster set-up
4:30 - 5:00    Welcome & Introduction
5:00 - 6:00    Keynote Presentation
6:00 - 7:00    Dinner
7:00 - 9:00    Poster session

Symposium - Saturday, October 2, 2010
9:00 - 9:30    Invited Oral Presentation
9:30 - 10:00    Invited Oral Presentation
10:00 - 10:30    Invited Oral Presentation
10:30 - 11:00    Break
11:00 - 11:30    Invited Oral Presentation
11:30 - 12:30    Keynote Presentation
12:30 - 4:30    Lunch and break
4:30 - 6:30    Poster session
6:30 - 7:30    Dinner
7:30 - 8:30    Keynote Presentation

Symposium - Sunday, October 3, 2010
9:00 - 9:30    Invited Oral Presentation
9:30 - 10:00    Invited Oral Presentation
10:00 - 10:30    Invited Oral Presentation
10:30 - 11:00    Break
11:00 - 11:30    Invited Oral Presentation
11:30 - 12:30    Keynote Presentation
12:30    Lunch
Contact Us
Thank you for your interest in SYR 2010! If you have a question, there's a good
chance you'll find the answer on the FAQ page . We cover a wide array of
registration, travel/lodging, Web site, and other issues there - it's the
fastest way for you to find a response to questions relating to SYR 2010.
SYR 2010 is presented by IAYT and hosted by Himalayan Institute. Any questions
related to travel to SYR 2010 or related to the facilities, should be directed
to :
Himalayan International Institute
952 Bethany Turnpike
Honesdale, PA 18431
U.S.A.
Phone: 570-253-5551, 800-822-4547
Fax: 570-253-9078
Email: i...@himalayaninstitute.org
For IAYT membership information and questions not directly related to SYR 2010
please contact the IAYT main office:
IAYT
PO Box 1280
Prescott, AZ   86304
Voice: 928-541-0004
Fax: 928-541-0182
Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm MST
Email: m...@iayt.org
Web: www.iayt.org