These are some radio program podcasts on eclectic subjects from various sources
that I've found particularly interesting, edifying and diverting as I'm
"plodding along" in my regular exercise regimen.  In addition to the websites
referenced, these podcasts generally also are made available through some other
sources, such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Enjoy!

----------------

"Into the Light"
FUTURE TENSE - ABC Radio National/Radio Australia
Author Paul Bogard worries that we’re losing our sense of darkness, that our
taste for banishing the night is turning Earth into the planet that never
sleeps. In Europe and North America the amount of light in the night sky
continues to increase by around six per cent a year.  But new forms of lighting
technology – LEDs in particular – promise a more sophisticated and controlled
approach to urban illumination: street lights that sense our presence and
automatically adjust the brightness around us; and responsive computer lighting
systems that turn illumination into a distinctive architectural feature, not
just an urban utility.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/into-the-light/6276690

"The Forum at the Space for Thought Festival: Shaking Up Foundations"
THE FORUM - BBC World Service
Author and columnist Will Self, evolutionary biologist Armand Leroi,
international relations expert Leslie Vinjamuri and stand-up comic and
mathematician, Matt Parker challenge the established foundations of their
fields in a lively discussion at the London School of Economics with presenter
Bridget Kendall. (45')
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02l40d5

"Geoffrey Blainey - the rise and fall of ancient Australia; Getting plucked - a
dangerous history of hair removal"
LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC Radio National/Radio Australia
Professor Blainey has re-examined his previous works on Indigenous Australians
and explains how he’s changed some long held views about Australia’s past. His
new book is called "The Story of Australia’s People".  It's estimated that an
American woman can spend up to $25,000 US during her lifetime just on waxing
body parts, and 60 per cent of men now regularly reduce or remove body hair
from areas below the neck. It wasn't until the mid 20th century that body hair
came to be viewed as unhealthy, even filthy, and women were encouraged by the
marketing of new products to remove superfluous bodily hair. Some of the
remedies included X-Ray, the highly toxic thallium acetate, waxing with tree
resin, and chemicals derived from the process of removing animal hair prior to
slaughter. (55')
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/past-programs/?page=2
  (scroll to "Tuesday 10 Mar 2015")