Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that
allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift
of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.

I do it while “power walking” (most) every other day.  The “art” of putting one
foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by “podding along”
while I’m plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body.  Some
of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland,
Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web
site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation
sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Here’s another in a continuing series of
small samplings:

——

“Selling the Stem Cell Promise”
BACKGROUND BRIEFING - ABC Radio National
Clinics across the country are offering stem cell therapy for everything from
Alzheimer's to arthritis, but some patients are coming to harm, with little
evidence to support the procedures they're undergoing. Ann Arnold reports. (35”)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/2016-07-17/7621836

“The CRISPR Breakthrough”
FUTURE TENSE - ABC Radio National
Last year CRISPR was Science Magazine’s ‘Breakthrough of the Year’. The
genome-editing technology is supercharging genetic research and making the
previously unthinkable thinkable.  In the first of  a two-part series on CRISPR
and its potential, producer William Isdale explores the ways in which CRISPR is
now being used to help fight human disease and to produce more resilient crops,
with higher nutritional yields. (29”)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/the-crispr-breakthrough/7586778

“CRISPR - Part 2"
FUTURE TENSE - ABC Radio National
The genome-editing technology CRISPR is supercharging genetic research, but
even its proponents accept the need for better regulation.  In part two of our
look at CRISPR and its potential, producer William Isdale examines the
regulatory framework that exists to guide CRISPR’s usage. He also finds out
about some of the fears that even genetic scientists have for the misuse of
CRISPR.  Among his guests, Oxford University philosopher and bioethicist Julian
Savulescu. (29”)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/crispr-two/7586874

——

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com