Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that
allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift
of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.

I do it while “power walking” (most) every other day.  The “art” of putting one
foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by “podding along”
while I’m plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body.  Some
of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland,
Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web
site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation
sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Here’s another in a continuing series of
small samplings:

——

“Driving”
THE WHY FACTOR - BBC World Service
Why do we love driving? Mike Williams asks if we would miss driving, as
auto-piloted cars are tested in cities around the world. He talks to Dr Lisa
Dorn, psychologist and associate professor of driver behaviour, Dr Zia Wadud an
associate professor in transport studies, technology reporter Brian Fung,
racing team owner Eddie Jordan and top gear presenter Sabine Schmitz. (18”)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04263vj

“CEO of Liberty Global Mike Fries, Guardian losses, Fox News CEO Roger Ailes
departs”
THE MEDIA SHOW - BBC Radio 4
Liberty Global is the world's largest international TV and broadband company,
with over 27 million customers worldwide. It's also the owner of Virgin Media,
the largest cable company in the UK and Ireland, with 5.6 million customers. On
a recent visit to London, its CEO Mike Fries spoke to Steve Hewlett about the
strength of the business in the UK market, the impact of Brexit and whether
they'd ever consider buying ITV.
Guardian Media Group (GMG), the owner of The Guardian and Observer newspapers,
has reported a greater-than-expected full-year operating loss of £69 million.
GMG has put the losses in part down to restructuring charges and a fall in
print advertising revenues, with some reports saying that disagreements over
who should take the blame led to the Guardian's Editor in Chief Alan Rusbridger
resigning in May. Steve Hewlett talks to media analyst from Enders Douglas
McCabe about the scale of the problem and what, if anything, can be done about
it.
Roger Ailes who co-founded Fox News with Rupert Murdoch in 1996, is to depart
the news channel. Over two decades, Ailes has led Fox News to becoming one of
America's most watched news channels with profits dwarfing its cable news
rival's. Ailes has been the driving force behind forming the unique Fox brand
with his attention-grabbing style. Its blend of modern production values and
partisan news commentary aimed at the moderate and conservative right
counterbalanced what Ailes saw as the liberal bias of competitor news channels.
We hear from author Kerwin Swint, and NPR's David Folkenflik about the rise and
fall of this huge figure in US media. (30”)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07lfkqb

“I’m Just Not Myself"
THE PHILOSOPHER’S ZONE
Buddhist thought holds that at core there is no real self. This strikes the
western ear as thoroughly counterintuitive—after all, we have memories, bodies,
thoughts and other forms of self continuity. Scottish sage David Hume had no
qualms about such a radical thought, and his work points to the real
possibility of integrating eastern and western insights. The Philosopher's Zone
talks with two philosophers at the intersection of self and mind.  (25”)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/im-just-not-myself/7641710

——

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com