Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that
allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift
of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.

I do it while “power walking” (most) every other day.  The “art” of putting one
foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by “podding along”
while I’m plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body. Some
of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland,
Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web
site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation
sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Here’s another in a continuing series of
small samplings:

——

“The Age of Distraction"
BIG IDEAS - ABC Radio National
In a time when society is placing more and more value on the intellectual and
the digital, the philosopher mechanic, Matthew Crawford feels we’re forgetting
and undervaluing the physical, the tactile or the manually creative aspect of
ourselves.  In his latest book, “The World Beyond Your Head", he continues on
the theme of the physical and adds a new layer of observation about
contemporary life. The world he sees is getting noisier – public space has been
hijacked by advertising and corporate promotion to the extent that the very
idea of silence is becoming a luxury good. There are now so many things
demanding our attention perhaps we've created an age of distraction?
Highlights of "How to Flourish in an Age of Distraction", the RSA in London,
22nd April 2015.  (54”)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/age-of-distraction/7669950

“How Teenage Boys Talk About Pornography”
THE DRAWING ROOM - ABC Radio National
Have you ever wondered how teenage boys talk about pornography outside of sex
education class, when their parents aren't around?  Clare Watson is artistic
director at St Martin's Youth Arts Centre, and her new play, Gonzo, peels back
the curtain on conversations between teenage boys. She joins Patricia Karvelas
in the Drawing Room, along with one of the Gonzo actors Jack Palit.  (16”)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/drawingroom/how-teenage-boys-talk-about-pornography/7844100

__ __

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com