Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually
any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning.
The act of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and
by “podding along” while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to
do.  So it can be with the time spent gardening, washing dishes, preparing
meals and many other day to day activities.

Podcasting has grown to the point that it can justly be considered a medium all
its own.  Therefore, the attempt here has to be to highlight only a small
portion of it, just one corner where excellence reigns.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia,
Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s
web site, most programs are made available through any number of other
amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

This continuing series of small samplings in more or less 90 minute helpings
are curated by me.  I attest to the fact that I have listened to every podcast
listed here.  So admittedly these are thoroughly subjective recommendations.
But my interests and tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty
wide-ranging, even if I do say so myself.

__ __

“What We Value”
TED TALKS - NPR
As the pandemic reveals the weaknesses of our economy, businesses and consumers
are rethinking what they value. This hour, TED's Corey Hajim shares ideas on
shifting the role of business in society. (51”)
https://www.npr.org/2020/07/16/891826374/listen-again-what-we-value

“Voter Suppression in the USA”
REAR VISION - ABC RN
The US presidential election is due to be held in November and many Americans
are concerned about their right and eligibility to vote. For over 200 years the
right to vote has been a contested issue, especially for African Americans and
other people of colour. Why is the vote so controversial in the world’s oldest
democracy? Guests: Allan Lichtman, Distinguished Professor of History at the
America University in Washington DC and author of 'The Embattled Vote in
America: From the Founding to the Present’; Gilda Daniels, Associate Professor
at the University of Baltimore’s School of Law and author of 'UNCOUNTED:  Voter
Suppression in the United States’; Alex Keyssar, Professor of History and
Social Policy at the Kennedy School at Harvard University and author of 'The
Right to Vote: The Contested History of Democracy in the United States'. (30”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rearvision/voter-suppression-in-the-united-states-of-america/12439052

__ __

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on
occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger,
the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For
further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
Current 184 page 9th EDITION available from Universal Radio
[universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]