Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually
any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning.
The act of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and
by “podding along” while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to
do.  So it can be with the time spent gardening, washing dishes, preparing
meals and many other day to day activities.

Podcasting has grown to the point that it can justly be considered a medium all
its own.  Therefore, the attempt here has to be to highlight only a small
portion of it, just one corner where excellence reigns.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia,
Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s
web site, most programs are made available through any number of other
amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

This continuing series of small samplings in more or less 90 minute helpings
are curated by me.  I attest to the fact that I have listened to every podcast
listed here.  So admittedly these are thoroughly subjective recommendations.
But my interests and tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty
wide-ranging, even if I do say so myself.

__ __

“Frank Luntz: Can Donald Trump Win?”
HARDtalk - BBC World Service
With just two months until the US presidential election, the polls show the
incumbent Donald Trump trailing Democrat Joe Biden by a significant margin.
This is an extraordinary election year marked by a pandemic, economic crisis,
street protests over alleged police racism and a toxic political atmosphere.
HARDtalk’s Stephen Sackur speaks to the veteran Republican party pollster and
consultant Frank Luntz. Can Donald Trump win, and should Republicans want him
to? (23”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cszc6t
[Ed. Note:  This interview took place in early September.]

“Shinzo Abe resignation and Catherine Belton on the Navalny poisoning, Belarus
and Putin’s people”
BETWEEN THE LINES - ABC RN
Shinzo Abe is Japan’s most successful post-war political leader. This week he
resigned for health reasons. So what is his legacy for Japan and the wider
region? Guest: Bruce Miller, Australia’s ambassador to Japan from 2011 to 2017
Plus, Putin’s People: how the KGB took back Russia and then took on the West.
Journalist Catherine Belton explains how tensions in Belarus and the poisoning
of anticorruption campaigner Alexei Navalny fit into Russa’s post-Communist
power politics.  Guest: Catherine Belton, Moscow Correspondent for the
Financial Times and author of 'Putin's People: How the KGB Took Back Russia and
then Took On the West’. (30”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/betweenthelines/shinzo-abe-resignation-and-catherine-belton-on-the-navalny-pois/12624482

"Jane Goodall: A life with chimpanzees"
HARDtalk - BBC World Service
HARDtalk’s Stephen Sackur speaks to the world-famous conservation activist Jane
Goodall. She has made a unique contribution to humankind’s understanding of our
closest living animal relatives, the primates, and in particular the
chimpanzee. Dr Goodall was in her twenties when she began her meticulous
observation of chimp behaviour deep in Africa. Now she’s 86, and still
campaigning to protect the natural world. Can the primates and so many other
species be saved from mass extinction?  (23’)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cszc21

__ __

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on
occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger,
the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For
further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
Current 184 page 9th EDITION available from Universal Radio
[universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]