Call for Papers

"Discourse and Cultural Transformation"
International Conference
Zhejiang University, Hangzhou (China)
9-13 October 2004

Cultural imperialism is one of the most fundamental and pressing
problems in contemporary ordinary and disciplinary life. To initiate
an international forum on how discourse research can promote cultural
co-existence and harmony, we will host an international conference at
Zhejiang University (Hangzhou, China) between 9th and 13th of October,
2004. We hope to bring together scholars in language and
communication, cultural studies, literary criticism, anthropology,
education, sociology, psychology and other social disciplines and from
a diversity of cultural backgrounds. In this forum, we shall take up
philosophical, theoretical, methodological and empirical perspectives
on discourse studies with a view to undermining discourses of cultural
repression and advocating new discourses of cultural cohesion. Topics
include:

- The relationship between discourse and culture
- Cross-fertilisation between cultural studies and discourse studies
- Postcolonialism, diaspora and discourse theory
- Cultural imperialism in language/communication/discourse scholarship
- The international position of non-western scholarship in
  language/communication/discourse
- The study of non-western discourses
- Intercultural communication and critical pedagogy
- Discourse studies in China

Please submit a full A4 page abstract, indicating:

   1. intellectual backgrounds
   2. the central topic and thesis
   3. analytical material

The selection process will match these contents against the proposed
themes of the conference.

All abstracts should be received by 31 March 2004. You will receive
notification of the acceptance of your proposal by 30 April 2004.

We seek to publish a selection of the papers with an international
publisher.

For further information and submission please go to:
http://www.cfl.zju.edu.cn/wyxyzy/conference/discourseconference.htm

Contact:
'Discourse and Cultural Transformation' Conference
Zhejiang University
School of International Studies
Zijingang Campus
310058