Conference Announcement

"Casting Faiths: The Construction of Religion in East and
Southeast Asia"
Interdisciplinary Workshop
Asia Research Institute (ARI) and Department of History,
National University of Singapore
Singapore
7.-8.6.2004

The Asia Research Institute (ARI) and Department of History
of the National University of Singapore present the workshop
"Casting Faiths: The Construction of Religion in East and
Southeast Asia", to be held in Singapore June 7-8, 2005. This
workshop will explore how knowledge of religion has been
constructed in colonial and post-colonial East and Southeast
Asia. We will expand the ideas of post-colonial theory to
include any relationship of center and periphery, and
encourage topics from the 18th century to the present day.
We welcome papers from all disciplines that explore the role
of the archive, cinema, classroom and courtroom on
understandings of Asian religion.

Those interested in presenting a paper should send a brief
(500 words) abstract to the conference organizers by
November 1st, 2004. For more information, please contact the
organizers or see our website.

Limited funding support for accommodation and travel to
Singapore will be available for presenters.

Dr. Maitrii Aung-Twinn (hism...@nus.edu.sg)
Dr. Thomas DuBois (his...@nus.edu.sg)

Conference website:
http://www.ari.nus.edu.sg/conf2005/faiths.htm