Location: Montpellier (France)
Date: 11.–13.6.2015
Deadline: 31.10.2014

An “ecotone” is a transitional area between two or more distinct
ecological communities, for instance the zone between field and
forest, mountain and ocean, sea and land, or imaginatively, the space
between North and South, East and West. An “ecotone” may also
indicate a place where two communities meet, at times creolizing, or
germinating into a new community. We will be borrowing this term
traditionally used in environmental studies and geography, and apply
it to postcolonial studies in disciplines such as literature,
history, the arts, translation studies, the social and political
sciences, ethnic studies, and ecocriticism, etc.

New Ecotones seeks to highlight social, cultural, scientific and
aesthetic practices and explorations. What happens in the liminal
spaces where people(s) cross and meet? New Ecotones will encourage
investigation of the contested zones, regions, cultures and
histories. New Ecotones seeks to explore the “complex chemistry” of
creolizing worlds (Robin Cohen) including the “contact zones” between
cultures (Mary Louise Pratt) and the "translation zones" (Emily
Apter) in a multitude of colonial and postcolonial contexts. Areas of
investigation comprise new forms of belonging and bonding including
transnational citizenship or cosmopolitics, “transcolonial” relations
(Shu-mei Shih and Françoise Lionnet) or “diaspora space” (Avtar
Brah). The aim is to understand how everyday practices, languages,
customs, beliefs, rituals, and ideas evolve, maintain, or transform
when two communities merge, or confront each other. The variety of
these intercultural encounters will be emphasized and investigated.

This conference on New Ecotones will concentrate on setting up a
theoretical framework for this five-year program and network. Taking
advantage of the location by the Mediterranean for this first
gathering in the Ecotones program, we invite papers for our inaugural
conference investigating the encounters, crossings, and communities
formed in relation to specific environments across seas, oceans and
continents. Special attention will also be granted to small or even
micro-spaces within the many regions settled over different times,
and to the very precise impact on the local lives of the individuals
or communities of the colonial and postcolonial world.

For this inaugural conference, we would like to engage in theorizing
the concepts from a multitude of disciplines and defining the terms
of engagement through case studies, investigating particular events
and/or places in their relation to locales and communities,
identifying the precise circumstances when these relationships are
altered and (are forced to) evolve. What are the factors of change,
and how are these factors mediated in literature, history, the social
sciences, and the arts? How do the languages, the cultural practices,
the scientific knowledge, and environmental concerns meet and
transform in these newly constructed ecotones? How does the merging
of different ecologies and communities produce creolization, new
identities and discourses, new ideas and behaviors? To what extent
can we interpret aesthetic, philosophical, scientific, political
pathways using the metaphor of ecotones?

Pride of place will be given to literary and artistic representations
of ecotones as points of contact or points of friction. In these
geographies of contact, such spaces as the littoral, the border, the
fence, the shore, the beach, the harbor, the swamp or urban forests,
among others, will be brought to the fore, as well as the ways these
spaces proliferate in the literary imagination and are articulated in
the arts. These liminal, transient, sometimes traumatic, spaces where
people willingly move to or are forcefully displaced, and where they
sometimes stay longer than they had anticipated, will also be
considered. Narratives that bring together improbable domains will
also be valued as an area of investigation.

We invite submissions of proposals for twenty-minute presentations,
and we embrace creative interventions suggesting fresh topics in new
media multimodalities. We will endeavor to create a discursive
platform for cross-cultural and interdisciplinary approaches. New
ways to imagine ecotones are particularly welcomed.

Upload the following information to the organizational website:
- name
- title of paper/presentation
- abstract/description (no more than 250 words)
- short biography and contact information (no more than 150 words)

Submit your proposal here:
https://ecotones.submittable.com/submit/30210

The deadline to do so is October 31, 2014. Notification of acceptance
will be given by January 31, 2015.

Confirmed Keynote Speakers

Elizabeth DeLoughrey (UCLA)
Gaurav Desai (Tulane University)
Romesh Gunesekera (Writer, UK)

Ecotones Program Coordinators

Dr Thomas Lacroix (MIGRINTER, CNRS-UMR – Poitiers, France)
thomas.lacr...@univ-poitiers.fr

Dr Judith Misrahi-Barak (EMMA, Université Paul-Valéry Montpellier,
France)
judith.misrahi-ba...@univ-montp3.fr

Dr Maggi Morehouse (Coastal Carolina University, SC, USA)
moreho...@coastal.edu

This first gathering launches a five-year series of events organized
by EMMA (Etudes Montpelliéraines du Monde Anglophone, Université
Paul-Valéry Montpellier, France), in partnership with Coastal
Carolina University (SC, USA) and MIGRINTER (UMR CNRS-Poitiers,
France). Each conference will be hosted in a different location
focusing on distinct aspects of ecotones. A selection of papers will
be considered for publication.

Please sign up for our mailing list if you wish to be kept informed
of developments and events: