Location: London (United Kingdom)
Date: 23.–24.5.2017
Deadline: 17.3.2017

We invite papers that interrogate the intersections between memory,
migration, and decolonisation across the Caribbean and its diasporas.
The conference seeks to explore how ideas about decolonisation have
resonated in the Caribbean, the Americas, and Europe. We take Haitian
independence (1804) as a thinking point for debates surrounding
concepts of independence, colonialisms, and freedoms. We welcome
papers that explore contemporary practices of neo-colonialism and
resistances to them as well as issues of formal ‘decolonisation’. We
will develop themes of decolonisation by moving beyond any set
discipline: we are particularly interested to hear proposals from
artists, curators, musicians and community activists, as well as
scholars. As part of an ongoing oral history project, this conference
will feature a community-led public engagement activity that focuses
on the lived experiences of decolonisation and migration amongst
members of Britain’s Caribbean diaspora.

Themes of interest include (but are not limited to):
- Memories and experiences of migration, empire, and (de)colonisation
- (Neo)colonialism in the contemporary Caribbean and beyond
- The development of national consciousness
- Caribbean literature
- Theorising decolonisation
- Visions of a post-colonial future

Please send abstracts of no more than 250 words, by Friday 17th
March, to: decolconfere...@gmail.com

Keynote Speaker:
Prof Matthew Smith (University of the West Indies, Mona)

Guest Speakers:
Prof Tina K. Ramnarine (Royal Holloway, University of London)
Dr William ‘Lez’ Henry (University of West London)

Convenors:
Jack Webb (Institute of Latin American Studies)
William Tantam (Institute of Latin American Studies)
Maria del Pilar Kaladeen (Centre for Postcolonial Studies)

Conference website:
http://www.sas.ac.uk/events/event/7708