Call for Publications

Theme: Global Utopias
Publication: Thomas Project. A Border Journal for Utopian Thoughts
Date: No. 5 (June/July 2021)
Deadline: 25.5.2021

Throughout history, many utopian visions and theories have claimed to
take a “global” or “universalist” approach, i.e. to speak for the
whole of humankind. As such, utopian thought, like all spiritual,
political and artistic configurations, is based on anthropological
premises that are directly concerned with the worldview of an age – a
worldview that some authors, many situated at the borders of their
own age, consider worth pursuing for the sake of humankind as a whole.

The “global” scope of utopian visions gives rise to utopian plans
that, if realized, could radically undermine the authors’ purposes,
transforming the happy form of life they envisage into a totalitarian
reality. Here we face the risk, run by many utopias, of creating
dystopias.

Nevertheless, precisely through this approach, we find – within
explicitly critical and satirical forms – a focus on the liberation
of the weaker parts of society and an inclusive understanding of
human problems. After all, political and spiritual movements – as
well as many of the declarations on whose premises human rights are
based, such as the Declaration of the Rights of Man and the Citizen
(1789) and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948) – are
children of both the utopian spirit and the historical tragedies of
their age.

Studying the universalistic focus of the history of utopia thus
involves studying the many forms through which a society conceives of
itself beyond itself, its boundaries and its weaknesses. In this
sense, our globalized age is also a child of global, philosophical,
political, spiritual and technological utopias.

One of the most recent fields of research in this area focuses on
“globalization” as a key consequence of modernity. The last thirty
years have witnessed a series of phenomena the rapidity and
innovativeness of which are far from being completely understood: on
the one hand, the incredible digital, technological acceleration of
the past few decades and the transformation of the capitalistic
economy; on the other hand, the apparent creation of a world
characterized by forms of living and challenges that are increasingly
common to the whole of humankind.

Globalization taken in itself and the global phenomena that
characterize our contemporary civilization embody images from past
global utopian endeavors while producing their own global utopian
visions.

For this issue, we are seeking articles that examine this theme in
general, and the following sub-themes in particular:

- forms and images of global utopia
- contemporary global utopias
- global utopias throughout modern utopian thought
- globalization as utopia and dystopia
- the forms and history of the global city

We welcome submissions that take a philosophical, literary, artistic,
theological or political approach and that are written in one of the
journal’s five languages: English, Italian, Portuguese, French or
Spanish.

Editorial rules:
http://www.thomasproject.net/editorial-rules/

Send your article to:
redazionethomasproj...@gmail.com

Timetable and Deadlines:

May 25th: submission of the article
May 25th  – June 10th: peer-review process
June 20th: final submission of the article
June 20th – June 28th : editorial review
June / July: publication

Invited contributions for this issue are:
Prof. Dr. José Eduardo Franco (Open University, Portugal)
Dr. Gaia Giuliani (CES, University of Coimbra, Portugal)
Dr. Emanuele Leonardi (University of Parma, Italy)

For more information, please follow this link:
http://www.thomasproject.net/global-utopias/