Location: Pendleton, SC (USA)
Date: 4.–7.11.2021
Deadline: 31.8.2021

The conference on Embodiment and Race II is a three-day
interdisciplinary conference that will explore the issues of race and
embodiment from the perspectives of critical-race theory and
phenomenology. The aim of the conference is to open a space for
academics and the local community where we can extend and deepen our
understanding of recent debates on race, racialization, and being an
embodied agent of a minority group.

This conference will bring together academics who work on race and
embodiment to share their studies and discuss different approaches to
these issues. We will explore the issues of philosophy of racism and
racial embodiment focusing on questions: What role does embodiment
play in the experience of racism and/or racial harm? How do various
social policies benefit or burden people classified as being a given
race? Does racism harm the racist as well as the victim? We plan to
publish a selection of the conference papers in the conference
proceedings.

Possible topics may include:

- Phenomenological perspectives on embodiment
- Embodiment and Racism
- Race, racism, racialization
- Colonialism and Race
- Embodiment and Identity
- Embodied experience and the political

We welcome all abstracts on these topics. We particularly encourage
interdisciplinary submissions, submissions from underrepresented
areas of philosophy, and submissions from members of underrepresented
groups.

Submission Guidelines

- Deadline August 31, 2021

- Submissions must be long abstracts (800-1200 words in length)
presenting the main claims of the paper, and arguments in favor of
them sent to Edyta Kuzian.

- Please submit a separate cover sheet that includes your name,
contact information, institutional affiliation, and keywords and
relevant area(s) of research.

- If you wish to propose a panel, please email Edyta Kuzian by August
31, 2021 with details of your panel (panel title, list of speakers,
titles of their papers with abstracts, and a brief description of the
panel).

- Email to: ekuz...@clemson.edu

Keynote Speakers
​
Emily Lee (California State University, Fullerton)​
Paul C. Taylor (Vanderbilt University)

Venue

The conference will mostly be held at the Outdoor Lab facility of
Clemson University in the foothills of South Carolina. The venue is a
cross between a summer camp and a conference center, nestled in the
woods on the shores of Lake Hartwell. ​

All events will be held at the Bowfin Conference Center at the
Outdoor Lab, with the exception of the two keynote addresses, which
will be held at McKissick Theatre in Clemson.

Contact:

Edyta Kuzian, Ph.D.
Department of Philosophy and Religion
Clemson University