Location: Leuven (Belgium) – Online
Date: 24.–25.3.2022
Deadline: 20.12.2021

The Justice and Migration research group at RIPPLE, KU Leuven,
organizes a two-day international workshop on March 24-25, 2022. The
workshop studies the widespread yet normatively undertheorized
practice of granting denizens (i.e., ‘non-citizen residents’,
‘resident aliens’) fewer/different political, social-economic, and
cultural rights than citizens. How should we theorize practices of
legal rights-differentiation? What is the appropriate theoretical
framework for making sense of diverging legal entitlements between
citizens and denizens? By reflecting on the concept and possible
normative grounds of rights-differentiation, the workshop aims to
make real progress on the question of whether and why priority for
citizens in terms of political, socio-economic, and language rights
is ever morally justified.

Abstracts of max. 300 words that speak to the theme are due on Monday
December 20, 2021 and should be send to:
johan.olstho...@kuleuven.be

Successful applicants will be informed early January 2022.
Accommodation will be provided to successful applications;
unfortunately, we cannot guarantee the reimbursement travel expenses.
This will be an in-person event, with the possibility for online
participation for those who face covid related travel restrictions.

Confirmed keynote speakers include Elizabeth Cohen (Syracuse), Patti
Tamara Lenard (Ottawa), Kasper Lippert-Rasmussen (Aarhus), and
Andreas Niederberger (Duisburg-Essen). Michael Luoma (Queen’s) will
present a paper co-authored with Margaret Moore (Queen’s). We aspire
to publish the presented papers, suitably revised, in a special issue
with a leading journal in moral, legal, or political philosophy.

Please note that the Justice & Migration group is organising a second
workshop, on socio-economic rights-differentiation, on 19-20 May,
2022.

We specifically welcome contributions that draw on the tension or
compatibility between egalitarianism and differential treatment; on
theories of rights and group-specific rights; citizenship rights and
basic human rights; special and general rights; as well as
contributions that explore relevant (dis)analogies in practices of
legal rights-differentiation in other contexts (for instance, from
debates on group-differentiated rights in theories of
multiculturalism). We encourage reflection on fundamental normative
questions such as:

- Under which conditions should we take migrants to have waived
  certain rights held by citizens, in exchange for legal residence and
  work permits?

- Do migrants have to earn some rights (e.g., through reciprocal
  social contributions or forming associative ties)?

- Are host states morally at liberty to withhold from denizens
  certain political, social-economic, and cultural rights granted to
  citizens?

- On what moral grounds might such differentiation be made (e.g.,
  co-national priority, autonomy, freedom of association, fairness,
  contribution etc.)?

- Do these grounds lead to even further differentiations in terms of
  rights and duties within the group of denizens? And can we formulate
  desirable scenario’s for implementing (or withstanding) such
  differentiation?

Main organizers:

Dr. Eszter Kollar (KU Leuven)
Dr. Francois Boucher (KU Leuven)

With the assistance of:
Dr. Johan Olsthoorn (Univ. of Amsterdam)

Conference website:
https://hiw.kuleuven.be/ripple/events/justice-for-denizens