Location: Seoul (South Korea) – Online
Date: 21.–23.7.2022
Deadline: 30.1.2022

Feminism(s)– like other academic knowledge and global movements –
bear the effects of historic and new permutations of Eurocentrism,
colonialism and imperialism that continue to shape not only feminism
but the global world we inhabit and seek to change. Convened in South
Korea, this 2022 conference turns to Asia as a geographic location
and imaginary that offers an important anchoring for global feminist
conversations to move beyond the current hegemonic hold of the West
and the (imperial) nation-state system that emerged wherein the
global governance structure has pre-determined how feminism becomes a
salient political and academic discourse. Urgently needed are
collective reflections on emerging hierarchies not only between West
and non-West but as the focus of this call for conversation, the
hierarchies and relations in and between ‘the non-West’. Feminist
scholars, editors, policymakers, practitioners, activists and
teachers, more than ever, need to come together to exchange ideas and
co-create transnational and/or global feminist futures by mending
broken linkages. This is an age-old conundrum that has riddled
feminist inroads into institutions and public spaces; we seek a more
satisfactory redress in the wake of greater separate and parallel
developments in feminist research in siloes, global anti-feminist
backlash and polarization of politics.

The set of questions animating this conference is: How do feminists
across regions and locations speak and share ideas when the work
cannot wait for academic feminists, when the worlds we live in and
work to change do not wait and cannot wait for academic conventions
to catch up? These questions are not discrete or exclusive. We
encourage and expect work where multiple inquiries/conditions/
identities/ experiences intersect and/or collide.

We believe that in a world where feminists working in universities as
organic intellectuals and teachers for change not only requires
foundational interrogation but also demands radical methodological
moves to keep true. In this spirit, we invite critical and creative
discussions that expand and better locate the ‘academic research’,
‘university’ and ‘scholarship’ with artists, poets, activists, and
policy practitioners across regions and locations. We believe
engendering new, surprising conversations and encounters that would
otherwise not happen should be the main way we think about
inter-institutional, and interdisciplinary collaboration across the
activist-academia divide and locations.

Format

The two-day in-person proceedings will be held in Seoul hosted by the
Asian Center for Women’s Studies, Ewha Womans University. They will
be livestreamed, allow online participation, and connected with three
additional hubs in Oceania, South East Asia and South Asia (hubs will
be announced early 2022). The third day of the conference will be
fully virtual, hosted by the hubs each convening a plenary event as
well as functioning as a physical gathering place for that day for
those who can travel to these sites better.

Themes

We are inviting individual and co-authored papers, panels,
roundtables, book launch proposals, and other creative proposals
under the theme, Remapping the feminist global: A multi-vocal,
multi-located conversation convened by co-hosts, ACWS and IFJP. All
participants will be invited to submit their papers to the journals
for their respective special issues after the conference.

This gathering recognizes Asia is plural, requiring inter-Asian
exchanges, and further, that the global world requires more careful
remapping and engagement via and from Asia. With inter-Asia/plural
Asias at the center, the conference also seeks to explore the global
through interregional south-south connections such as Afro-Asia and
Pacific-Indigenous-Asia. The gathering also seeks to remap global
feminism through rethinking disciplinary and academic categories of
knowledge production that marginalize feminist visions, bodies,
connections and modes of politics and knowing.

Centering Asia as a way of disrupting hegemonic discourses requires a
reckoning with race, racialization and the dynamics of gender
discourses that are shaped by western and colonial influences. We
invite diverse scholars and knowledge producers to convene under this
theme to engage in multi-levelled and nuanced conversations about how
issues of race, gender and racialization are conceptualized and
entwined, how they manifest, what meanings they carry, especially
when using terminologies developed and spread from imperial spaces.
We hope to stimulate scholarly debates that think through
implications of these alternate discourses in light of the urgent
need to dissect ramifications of racial, ethnic and gendered
discriminations particularly when examined from Asian and
postcolonial settings.

We invite diverse and innovative submissions from feminists with
strong critical, methodological, and theoretical strengths in the
themes below. The categories are not meant to be mutually exclusive
or exhaustive, and we welcome especially what may be amiss in them.
We also especially encourage submissions offering new explorations of
Asian feminisms, energizing feminist debates about processes of
racialization that can help us to develop transformative visions to
enact change, and delve into new directions.

* Postcolonial and non-western feminist theories and practices

- methods and theories on remapping the feminist global through Asia
  and/or other locations
- methods for theorizing the intimate, aesthetics and/or the non-
- military colonialism and neocolonialism
- empires and imperialism
- south-south relations and internationalisms

* Feminist politics and policy

- feminist perspectives on humanitarianism and human rights
  discourses/practices
- discourses and practices to tackle gendered/sexualized violence
- hate crime, affect, and activisms
- activism and in-between spaces as sites of democratization
- sexuality, liberation and body politics

* Race, racialization and gender

- racialization and racial hierarchy in Asia
- intersectional discrimination, anti-multiculturalism, activism
- gendered and racialized social policies and institutions
- gendered and racialized experiences of the Covid19 pandemic
- queer perspectives on race and racial issues
- migration and displacement

Submission Date:

Submission Type:
Individual and co-authored papers, panels, roundtables, book launch
proposals, and other creative proposals

Submission Method: Submit your 250-word abstracts by filling out the
form here.

Please note: For panel or other multi-person submissions, you will
need information of all your panelists/contributors including,
individual contribution/paper abstracts, email addresses,
location/institution information, and mode of participation

Notification Date:

Organizers:

Shine Choi, Te Kunenga ki Pūrehuroa Massey University, Aotearoa, New
Zealand (s.ch...@massey.ac.nz)

Bina D’Costa, Australia National University, Canberra, Australia
(bina.dco...@anu.edu.au)

Ji young Jung, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, South Korea
(jyo...@ewha.ac.kr)

Swati Parashar, Gothenburg University, Sweden (swati.paras...@gu.se)

Contact:

Conference Committee