Pragmatist Forum
Date: Special Issue (June 2022)
Deadline: 1.5.2022

The next year will see the 30th Anniversary of the initial publishing
of Heiner Roetz’s pathbreaking work Confucian Ethics of the Axial
Age: A Reconstruction Under the Aspect of the Breakthrough Toward
Postconventional Thinking (first in German in 1992, then in English
in 1993) in which Roetz (inter alia) has offered a profound challenge
to the (largely American-dominated) field of (neo)pragmatist informed
intercultural comparative philosophy and sinology. A central
component of Roetz’s argument regarding the need to “reconstruct”
Enlightenment universality involves the claim that: “the Weberian as
well as the pragmatic discourses [regarding axiological
transcendence] fail to appreciate the fundamental nature of China’s
classical philosophy in general and Confucianism in particular.”
Roetz locates the basic nature as a “crisis of the established
context and the inherited tradition” and in recognizing that both
“Hegel and Weber were wrong” in answering in the negative regarding
the question whether traditional Chinese thinking “knew of any
context-transcending reflexivity.” Roetz then goes on to question
whether pragmatist-inspired sinology is wise to be rejecting the
“very question [Hegelian-Weberian] as springing from an unjustified
generalization of modern Western idiosyncrasies.” In recounting a
particular sinological Hegelian’s response to the “esoteric
Sinophilia” of our time for “preposterously seeking ‘ways to the
self’ in a culture one of the characteristics of which has been
exactly not to develop a self-separated from nature,” Roetz asks
whether in critically interrogating the works of authors such as
Herbert Fingarette, Henry Rosemont Jr., David L. Hall, and Roger T.
Ames and others representing a trend in pragmatist and sinologically
informed comparative philosophy we might arrive at the conclusion
that it is part of a deeply problematic assurance and legacy of
post-Modern anxieties to be suggesting that:

China can teach us to recognize that the mentality of self, autonomy,
and freedom has run its course. Together with the Chinese, we should
recall our “communal rituals, customs, and traditions” and “inherited
forms of life.” We should abandon the “myth of objective knowledge,”
and adopt a “thinking that avoids the disjunction of normative and
spontaneous thought.” Confucius especially presents us a model which
for our world is perhaps "more relevant, more timely, more urgent"
than it has been even in China herself.”

Roetz developed this critique of a philosophical imagination of
Confucius as “moral philosopher” who can save the decadent West
further, for instance, in a 2013 article A Comment on Pragmatism in
Chinese Studies, in order to suggest that some of the aforementioned
pragmatist-inspired sinological methods, might not only be
misrepresenting (or perhaps more charitably ‘creatively misreading’
Chinese philosophy, even perhaps in profoundly good faith in a
postmodern-neopragmatist tradition of philosopher-poets bravely
risking a “strong misreading” in the interest of creative advance),
but in what may be an even more ironical gesture Roetz suggests that
we may need to return to the hermeneutic circle again in engaging
with the classical pragmatist tradition itself. The collaborative and
singular work of Roger Ames has largely presented a post-modernist,
communitarian, and neo-pragmatist reading of Confucianism as part of
a broader movement of counter-discourses, or perhaps exit strategies
to the European origin (if not domination) of the Enlightenment and
its limitations for moral theory — e.g. Confucian role ethics
certainly goes beyond the myth of the foundational individual and the
sole sovereignty of nation-states. Though Roetz maintains that this
approach cannot possibly do justice to the indebtedness of pragmatism
to this very Enlightenment, especially its better angels of
communicative rationality, radical political equality, and any other
aspects of Enlightenment thinking practices, and the historically
emergent ensemble of institutions that in some ways contribute to the
realization and preservation of the freedom, flourishing, prosperity
and dignity of all persons around the globe. The conditions requisite
for sustaining ethical-political cultures promoting universality and
a truly inclusive modernity for all peoples and nations are part a
robustly convivial cosmopolitical vision, and why not trace this to
at least in part the problematic legacy of the colonizer-colonized
dialectical struggle that gets roughly and euphemistically
shorthanded as “the Enlightenment.” It is in this spirit of
philosophical reconstruction then that Roetz has proposed a different
approach that pleads for the relevance of basic pragmatist tenets for
an ongoing project of a critical modern “reconstruction” rather than
a simple restoration of Confucianism or any other possible set of
conventional values inherited from archaic traditions. This concrete
ethical claim and specific hermeneutic task before us, as well as the
other aspects of Roetz’s philosophical corpus, have been thoroughly
engaged with before and criticized from various positions.

So what we hope to realize here in this call for contributions is
articulated in the following two-part aspirational aims of curating
this specific issue of Pragmatism Today:

1) We wish to be reconstructing the complexity of this larger
discussion concerning the plausibility and desirability of a sort of
“second Enlightenment” freed from its Western-centric imperialist
hubris and with the figure of Confucius as educator and moral
philosopher at the heart of such a momentous hermeneutic undertaking,
continue to expand the conversation about ethical universality beyond
the bad universalisms haunting the hypocritical deployment of human
rights discourse in the past and ongoing in the neoimperial present.
Although we could surely trace these discussions much further back,
we do well to highlight a particularly resounding intensification of
this philosophical conversation to the year 1987 when Roger Ames and
David Hall published Thinking Through Confucius and all of the
debates surrounding that text and its methodological proposals became
part of a philosophy and cultural politics of ars contextualis.

2) In understanding how this debate, regarding amongst many other
issues at least the need for a clear-eyed approach to China as
method, that is as a philosophical culture offering alternative
resources capable of realizing a “post-conventional” modernity on its
own terms, largely freed from the transcendental pretenses and
ontological anxieties of the liberal West, we hope that contributors
will find the opportunity to be creatively reflecting on just how it
is that pragmatist elements might facilitate more effective
intercultural understandings, or otherwise be ethically generative in
projects seeking to “reconstruct” viable ethical and political
philosophies from classical Chinese sources. Simply put, how is
pragmatism as a philosophical tradition and method of thinking still
relevant to unearthing what Chinese philosophers might have to say
from the Warring States Period contributing to bringing conceptual
clarity and ethical resolution to our uneasy global present?
Answering these and related questions, and hopefully avoiding the all
too frequent and scandalously amorphous “road-blocks” to inquiry that
John Dewey lamented in his preface to the inaugural publication of
the Philosophy East & West written in Waikiki in 1951 during the
early stages of the Cold War, would seem to require that at the very
least we take seriously Roetz’s challenges to be more fully
acknowledging the provincial elements of much of pre-existing
pragmatist literature, and perhaps to proceed more radically from a
temporal register of modernity (or perhaps better ‘contested and
sometimes conflicting enculturated modernities’). With such a
theoretical recognition of the diverse plurality of contributing
“chronotones”⁵ foregrounded we might hope to avoid any conservativism
regarding past institutions or the valorization of certain entrenched
ritual grammars of society in reimagining universality as a central
value in the field of global ethics. By submitting the received past
traditions and more recent discourses regarding universalism to a
deep “hermeneutics of suspicion” we might in this issue also hope to
remain alert to the lost potentials that a “hermeneutics of trust”
might reclaim for us — that is by listening carefully and in
relational humility to the words of wisdom that the living
tradition(s) of Confucianism and the ever evolving, communicative
ends-in-view of “World Pragmatism” might be voicing to our shared
globalized subjectivity formation in this age of increasingly
profound precarity and disjointed world solidarity.

Deadline for submissions: May 1, 2022.
The special issue is to appear in June 2022.

Please send your manuscript to Joseph Harroff and Ľubomír Dunaj.

Editorial team:

Joseph Harroff
American University, Washington D.C.
Email: jharr...@american.edu