http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1249418606805&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

'If Israel attacks, we'll hit Tel Aviv'

Aug. 14, 2009
JPost.com Staff , THE JERUSALEM POST 
Hizbullah leader Hassan Nasrallah threatened Friday evening to launch missiles 
at Tel Aviv, should Israel choose to attack Lebanon. 

Speaking at a rally commemorating the third anniversary of the truce between 
Israel and the terror group, Nasrallah said "only those who are afraid speak a 
lot." 

He assessed that recent statements from Jerusalem were meant to tilt the 
Lebanese coalition talks and influence the government that is expected to be 
formed there. 

"The enemy cannot manage a war which would uproot Hizbullah," Nasrallah told 
tens of thousands of Hizbullah supporters. "The Israelis want to reopen the 
issue of Hizbullah's armament, they are trying to turn the international 
community against Lebanon, Syria and Iran in order to prevent the armament of 
the resistance," Nasrallah said, adding that "when the Israelis speak a lot, we 
have nothing to fear. When they are quiet as snakes, we should be careful." 

The Hizbullah leader accused Israel of trying to minimize the importance of 
UNIFIL, the UN peace keeping force charged with implementing the truce between 
the sides. He said Israel was failing in that endeavor. 

Nasrallah echoed the Lebanese president, Michel Suleiman, who on Tuesday called 
on Lebanese parties to forge a unity government in Lebanon in order to 
"withstand Israeli threats." 

"Israel is under pressure in face of the unity of truth towards which Lebanon 
is progressing," he said. 

Last week, Defense Minister Barak warned that Israel would consider military 
action if Hizbullah altered the military balance, and also said that if another 
war erupted along the northern border, the IDF would have more operational 
freedom to target Lebanese infrastructure than it had three years ago. Earlier 
this week, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu warned Beirut that if Hizbullah 
becomes an official member of Lebanon's government, "we will hold the 
government accountable for any aggression against Israel coming out of its 
territory." 

On Thursday, UN Special Coordinator for Lebanon Michael Williams expressed hope 
that once built, the new Lebanese government would fully implement UN 
Resolution 1701, which ended the Second Lebanon War. 

"Today I also expressed hope for the next government, once formed, to work 
effectively to renew its commitment to the resolution and to work on its full 
implementation," Williams said following a meeting with Lebanese Prime 
Minister-designate Saad Hariri. 

Williams said Lebanese authorities and several political factions had pledged 
their commitment to the UN resolution, and that he would work to ensure its 
proper implementation. 

Meanwhile, in an article in Lebanon's A-Nahar newspaper on Friday, Williams 
said that while the UN resolution had not brought a complete end to violence 
and bloodshed, it had contributed to an extended period of stability, the likes 
of which had not been seen in the region for a quarter of a century. 

Williams maintained that the resolution had helped Lebanon spread its 
sovereignty over all its territory and deploy armed forces in the south. 

He claimed that the IAF was still conducting overflights in Lebanese airspace, 
but said that despite the forays and Israel's continued hold of the northern 
section of the Ghajar border village, there had been a certain degree of 
progress in efforts to settle the Shaba Farms issue. 

Williams said that several recent incidents, including the July 14 arms cache 
explosion in southern Lebanon, demonstrated the sensitivity of the situation 
and how quickly it could deteriorate. 

Also Friday, a Lebanese news agency reported that local security forces had 
uncovered another network spying for Israel. 

According to the report, several of the cell's members had been arrested and a 
manhunt was underway for six others. 

The agency, A-Sharq Al-Jadid, said that the suspects belonged to a Lebanese 
political party. 

In other news, Arab sources reported that Syrian President Bashar Assad will 
visit Hizbullah backer Iran next week in order to offer his congratulations to 
his Iranian counterpart Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for his recent election victory. 

Assad was the first leader to congratulate the Iranian president with a 
telegram after the disputed election results giving him a second term were 
published.

This article can also be read at http://www.jpost.com 
/servlet/Satellite?cid=1249418606805&pagename=JPArticle%2FShowFull

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke