http://thejakartaglobe.com/city/links-to-al-qaeda-investigated/324761

August 19, 2009 
Niniek Karmini

Links to Al Qaeda Investigated

The National Police questioned two alleged militants on Tuesday about possible 
Al Qaeda links to the twin suicide bombings in Jakarta last month, which killed 
nine people, including the two suicide bombers. 

The men, who were detained on Saturday, may have worked as couriers to channel 
funding from abroad for the July 17 attacks on the JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton 
hotels, said a National Police counterterrorism investigator, on condition of 
anonymity. 

The blasts, which killed six foreigners and wounded 50 other people, ended a 
four-year break in terrorism and revived the hunt for the country's most wanted 
fugitive, Noordin M Top. 

A police official in West Java said that Indonesian national Iwan Herdiansyah 
and Ali Mohammad Abdillah, a Saudi Arabian, were being interrogated after being 
picked up at separate locations in the province. He could not provide details. 

The anonymous investigator said authorities were following leads that the July 
blasts, believed to have been planned by a violent offshoot of the Jemaah 
Islamiyah terrorist network led by Noordin, were paid with money wired through 
Saudi Arabia, Thailand and Malaysia. 

Police are interrogating the men to determine "if the money used to fund the 
bombings came from Al Qaeda, which provided funding for previous attacks in 
Indonesia," the anonymous investigator said. 

Iwan, the Saudi national, had been running an Internet cafe and two shops 
selling Islamic books and toys since returning to the country a year ago after 
five years in Saudi Arabia, the official said. 

The police can hold suspects for a week without charge under the country's 
antiterrorism laws. 

It has been unclear who financed the July strikes in Jakarta, but Al Qaeda has 
bankrolled attacks that killed more than 240 people, mostly foreign tourists on 
Bali, since 2002. 

Noordin, the self-proclaimed commander of Al Qaeda in Indonesia, has been 
blamed for every major attack since 2003, including the first JW Marriott 
bombing in 2003 and an attack on the Australian Embassy in 2004. 

National Police spokesman Nanan Sukarna declined to comment on Tuesday on the 
possible Al Qaeda link, saying only that police continued to look into funds 
used for terrorism. 

The government's transaction watchdog has identified 68 suspect financial 
transactions since 2004 that were allegedly related to terrorist activities. 

On Monday, another National Police source said investigators believed funds for 
the hotel bombings had been brought into Jakarta from the Middle East in June. 

He said police had failed to apprehend the courier, as he had returned to his 
home country shortly after the bombings. 

Associated Press 


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke