http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/police-say-hundreds-of-opm-members-surrender-but-doubts-linger/567771


Police Say Hundreds of OPM Members Surrender, But Doubts Linger
Banjir Ambarita & Camelia Pasandaran | January 26, 2013

 Former OPM leader Daniel Kogoya (center) turning over his weapon to law 
enforcement authorities in Jayapura on Friday. Behind him are more than 200 
rebels under his command who police say have all surrendered as well. (JG 
Photo/Banjir Ambarita) Jayapura/Jakarta. Indonesian authorities have announced 
the surrender of more than 200 members of the Free Papua Organization (OPM), 
but human rights activists aired doubts about the claim.

The guerrillas, totaling 212, were said to have been fighting in Wutung, the 
border between Indonesia and Papua New Guinea under the command of Daniel 
Kogoya, who has reportedly claimed responsibility for several spouts of 
violence and shooting incidents in the restive region. 

Kogoya was arrested in September 2012 with two other members of the OPM, Sony 
Kosay and Petrus Kosay, after they tried to escape during an ambush. 

The 212 men along with Kogoya appeared at the Muara Tami district office in 
Jayapura on Friday, turned over their weapons and pledged their allegiance to 
the Republic of Indonesia in the presence of members of the media and military 
and police leaders, including Papua Military Commander Maj. Gen. Christian 
Zebua, Deputy Police Chief Brig. Gen. Paulus Waterpauw and Papua government 
secretary Elia Loupatty. 

“Indonesia is open to all of its citizens who have been in the opposition, as 
long as they return sincerely and stop carrying out illegal activities,” 
Christian said. “If some of your friends dislike your decision to rejoin 
Indonesia, our soldiers are ready to protect you.”

Paulus said surrendering was the best solution to solve differences, rather 
than continuing to ask for independence. 

“This is the time to build communications to create good relations in Papua. 
Let's build this land, we're ready to serve you who have seen the error of your 
ways, the government is sure to pay attention [to you],” Paulus said. “There is 
no use to keep on fighting for something that is uncertain. Special autonomy is 
a certainty that will benefit Papua's people.”

Daniel said he decided to rejoin Indonesia because he saw two Papuan natives 
rise to become law enforcement leaders — Inf. Col. Joppye Onesimus Wayangkau, 
who serves as Jayapura Military Resort Commander, and Papua Deputy Police Chief 
Brig. Gen. Paulus Waterpauw. 

“They're among our successful children, and we don't want to wage war against 
our own brothers,” Daniel said as quoted by Papuapos.com. “We will work 
together to build Papua.”

He also apologized for the actions of his troops that victimized ordinary 
people. 

Papuan human rights activist Markus Haluk, however, doubted the surrender, 
saying that most of those who claimed to be OPM members were actually refugees 
who had been living in Papua New Guinea. He also said that Daniel did not fight 
in the border areas, but in Papua's central mountainous area. 

“This was fabricated by certain institutions to create an impression that Papua 
is now peaceful as the OPM members have rejoined Indonesia,” Markus told the 
Jakarta Globe on Saturday. “Thousands of Papuans have sought refuge in Papua 
New Guinea and they lived near the border. They're not members [of OPM], only 
refugees.”

Markus said even if it was true that these rebels rejoined Indonesia, it would 
not solve the problem of rampant human rights violations.

“The issue isn't whether they surrender or not; the government should address 
the root of the violence, marginalization and discrimination,” he said. “That 
[surrender] does not solve anything."

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke