Ref: Apakah berlangsungnya tindakan kekerasan terhadap kaum minoritas  selama 
ini menununjukan bahwa mereka tidak mempunyai tempat dan hak hidup di NKRI?

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/lawandorder/two-more-churches-hit-in-makassar-molotov-cocktail-attacks/571670?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=jgnewsletter

Two More Churches Hit in Makassar Molotov Cocktail Attacks
Farouk Arnaz | February 14, 2013



Police in Makassar, South Sulawesi, are standing guard outside churches after 
would-be arsonists hit two more churches in a second wave of attacks early 
Thursday morning. 

Unknown assailants hurled homemade molotov cocktails at the South Sulawesi 
Indonesian Christian Church (GKI) and the Toraja Klassis Makassar Church 
Panakkukang Congregation in a pair of coordinated 4 a.m. attacks. Both churches 
suffered fire damage in the attempted firebombings, police said. 

Witnesses quickly worked to extinguish the flames, but were unable to get a 
clear look at the perpetrators, South Sulawesi Police Spokesman Snr. Comr. Endi 
Sutendi said. 

Investigators were gathering evidence at both locations Thursday morning. The 
pieces of a shattered bottle of Bintang beer police said was used in the attack 
was recovered at the Toraja Klassis Church. A similar bottle was found at the 
Indonesian Christian Church, police said. 

Thursday’s attempted church burnings were the second such attack in the past 
week. Police are now on high alert as officers search for those behind the 
attacks. 

“We will guard all the churches in Makassar,” South Sulawesi Police Chief Insp. 
Gen. Mudji Waluyo told the Jakarta Globe. “There are at least two officers from 
Sabhara [the police public order unit] openly guarding each church while 
another keeps a discreet eye on it. We will also install CCTV at each church.”

Mudji said police will not tolerate such attacks. 

Police believe this second wave of attempted church burnings are related to 
last week’s attacks. National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Boy Rafli Amar said 
the attacks were likely meant to stir religious controversy in South Sulawesi. 
Investigators didn’t find any evidence linking the attacks to known terrorist 
groups operating in either Poso or South Sulawesi.

++++

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/editorschoice/indonesia-church-officials-face-violence-jail-time-for-conducting-services/571591

Indonesia Church Officials Face Violence, Jail Time for Conducting Services
Rebecca Lake, Sandra Siagian & Abdul Qowi Bastian | February 14, 2013



The wife of a church minister who was jailed two weeks ago for allegedly 
conducting a service without a permit also faces arrest for defying an order 
from local authorities to stop holding services at a church in Sumedang, West 
Java. 

Minister Bernhard Maukar and his wife, Corry, were holding a service at their 
Pentecostal church (GPdI) in Mekargalih village, Jatinangor subdistrict, on 
Jan. 27, when it was attacked by members of the Islamic Defenders Front (FPI), 
who claimed that the church did not have a valid permit to operate. 

CCTV footage obtained by the Jakarta Globe shows details of the attack where a 
gang of about 50 members from the hard-line organization scaled the gates of 
the religious facility, caused havoc and destruction within the place of 
worship and physically threatened the minister — at one point using Bernhard’s 
necktie to strangle him. 

Bernhard was arrested by officials from the Sumedang Public Order Agency 
(Satpol PP) two days later for continuing to hold services without a valid 
permit, which breaks a 2005 local government law. 

The minister is currently serving a three-month sentence at the Sumedang prison 
as he could not pay the Rp 25 million ($2,600) fine ordered by the district 
court. 

Corry said this is the third major act of violence the FPI has inflicted upon 
them in the past two years. 

The grandmother explained that the latest attack on the church, which has been 
running for 26 years, had significantly traumatized the 400-member 
congregation, many of whom are now too afraid to return. 

The FPI did not respond to the Globe’s request for comments. 

The arrest and imprisonment of the priest, and the final warning delivered to 
his wife on Tuesday, comes after countless attempts by the church to obtain the 
permit required to continue offering services to its congregation. 

According to Corry, the church has applied for the permit and has invested a 
large amount of funds in the process. However, Arief Saefulloh, the Mekargalih 
village chief who oversees the approval of permits, claims to have lost the 
paperwork, Corry explained. 

When the Globe contacted Arief, he reiterated that the church in question 
should not be considered a house of worship. 

“This is not a church, this is a house that is being used as a church,” Arief 
said. 

Under the 2006 joint ministerial decree, Article 28 stipulates that local 
leaders must help facilitate the process to obtain a permit for a house of 
worship. 

Meanwhile, Article 14 states that the religious organization requires formal 
support from at least 60 people from the local community. 

While Corry said that the community in general supports the church, she 
believes that many locals are intimidated by the FPI. 

However, Arief claims that the local community is not behind the church. 

Hafiz Utsman, the head of the West Java chapter of the Indonesian Council of 
Ulema (MUI), the country’s highest Islamic authority, said the organization 
does not encourage violent attacks. 

“Of course we do not condone [violent attacks],” Hafiz said, adding that he was 
not aware of the recent attack against Bernhard’s church or of his 
imprisonment. 

“If there is a church without a permit then it’s not our concern, it’s the 
[legal] authorities’ concern.” 

According to Human Rights Watch, which will be releasing a three-year study on 
religious intolerance at the end of this month, these types of inter-religious 
conflicts have been significantly increasing, especially on the island of Java. 

Andreas Harsono, the Indonesia researcher for HRW, says the solution to such 
cases of violence lies in the hands of Indonesia’s government and the country’s 
lawmakers. 

“The short-term solution [to the conflict] is that the government should impose 
a zero-tolerance policy against violence in the name of religion,” Andreas 
said. 

However, according to the activist, the government has continued to ignore the 
issue and has failed to “respect of the rule of law in Indonesia.” 





[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke