http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/9877686/Bashar-al-Assad-declares-We-will-win-in-Syria.html

Bashar al-Assad declares: 'We will win in Syria' 
Syria's president Bashar al-Assad has defiantly declared that the war against 
rebels will not see him ousted from power. 
 
The latest movement of the rebels has seen them attacking airports in the north 
of the country Photo: Reuters
By Jamie Lindsay 

3:58PM GMT 18 Feb 2013

As-Safir, a pro-Damascus Lebanese daily, reported on Monday that he also told 
unnamed visiting Lebanese politicians that the future of Syria "is ours". 

"We are sure we will win, we are reassured by the political and military 
developments," he reportedly said. 

"That does not mean everything is settled, we still have a lot to do 
politically and in the battle against extremist terrorist groups. 

"We are convinced that the future is ours. Syria has the willpower to defeat 
the conspiracy," said Assad. 

The latest movement of the rebels has seen them turn their attention to 
northern Syria, attacking airports in a bid to capture large stocks of 
ammunition from regime forces. 

Related Articles
  a.. Britain could ramp up scale of security to Syria rebels 

  18 Feb 2013 
  b.. Syrian refugees 'will not be allowed to cross Israel border' 

  17 Feb 2013 
  c.. EU battle over move to ease arms flow for Syrian rebels 

  15 Feb 2013 
  d.. Iran commander assassinated in Syria 

  14 Feb 2013 
  e.. Threat of UK attack by British jihadists in Syria growing, Hague warns 

  14 Feb 2013 
This has seen European foreign ministers debate whether to ease the arms 
embargo so military aid can be channelled to the rebels. 

An EU official, who wished to remain anonymous, said Britain is lobbying to 
ease the embargo so armaments could flow. However several foreign ministers are 
thought to have said prior to the meeting that they oppose the suggestion. 

In a statement, the Foreign Office did not clarify whether the UK wanted the 
embargo altered and that the primary concern is to find a diplomatic solution: 

"The UK believes international action so far has fallen short. 

"In the absence of a diplomatic breakthrough, it is right that we continue to 
consider all options to protect civilians and to assist the National Coalition 
and other opposition groups opposed to extremism." 

Meanwhile, former United Nations prosecutor Carla del Ponte has questioned the 
International Criminal Court and insisted they should be called in to probe the 
war crimes. 

"The international community – and the UN security council – must take the 
decision to refer this to justice. 

"We suggest the International Criminal Court. We can't decide, but we are 
pressuring the international community to act, because it's time to." 

The UN says nearly 70,000 people have been killed in Syria since the revolt 
began in March 2011. 


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke