http://news.kuwaittimes.net/2013/02/11/libya-christians-dread-the-rise-of-islamic-extremism/

Libya Christians dread the rise of Islamic extremism 
 
Armed Libyan civilians man

TRIPOLI: “Not a day goes by without tombs being vandalised,” says Dalmasso 
Bruno, caretaker of the Italian cemetery in the Libyan capital where Christians 
fear rising Muslim extremism. “Human bones have been taken out of their tomb 
and scattered across the cemetery” in central Tripoli, he said. “The Libyan 
authorities came and took pictures.

They promised to take measures but nothing has been done.” Since the 2011 fall 
of Muammar Gaddafi’s regime, the small Christian community’s fears for its 
safety have increased, especially after a church bombing in December killed two 
people in the Mediterranean town of Dafniya. But despite such fears, dozens of 
worshippers mostly from India, the Philippines and African nations attend mass 
each week at the Catholic church of Saint Francis near central Tripoli to pray 
for security to be restored in Libya. “Look there are no security measures 
outside the church and the faithful can move around freely around,” said Father 
Dominique Rezeau. But elsewhere in Libya, Christians are not so untroubled. “In 
Cyrenaica, pressure has been exerted on Christians, notably the nuns who had to 
leave their congregation … in the east of the country,” said Father Rezeau.

He said Libya had as many as 100,000 Christians before the 2011 revolution that 
toppled Kadhafi. “Now only a few thousand remain.” The main Catholic Church’s 
clergyman in Libya told the Vatican missionary news agency Fides earlier this 
month that Christians are being driven out of eastern Libya by Muslim 
fundamentalists.

The Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, said the 
situation in that region was “critical” and the “atmosphere very tense.” Two 
religious communities in the east of the country-the Congregation of the Holy 
Family of Spoleto and the Franciscan Sisters of Child Jesus-were forced to 
leave “after being pressured by fundamentalists.” The Apostolic Vicar of 
Benghazi has been advised to take precautions ahead of a large-scale 
demonstration on February 20, Martinelli told Fides.

Libya’s second city Benghazi was the cradle of the uprising against Kadhafi’s 
dictatorial regime that erupted in February 2011, and the eastern hub has since 
been at the forefront of Islamist-linked unrest. Several international agencies 
and diplomatic missions have come under attack, the deadliest being a September 
11 assault on the US consulate in Benghazi that killed ambassador Chris Stevens 
and three other Americans. But the Catholic church in Benghazi remains open, 
Martinelli said. Before the uprising, three percent of Libya’s population of 
around 6.3 million were Christian.

Most of those who remain are expatriates, including Egyptian Copts who form the 
largest community. After mass at St Francis Church, the multinational 
congregation gathers to socialise while a group of Nigerians in traditional 
clothes set up a table to sell decorations made of wood. Antony Amstrong, a 
Ghanaian who has been teaching French in Libya for the past two decades, 
deplored the rampant “violence and security” since the anti-Gaddafi uprising. 
“All the sacrifice made by Libyans and the price they paid have not brought 
stability to this country,” Amstrong said. Ftsing Giscard, an electrician from 
Cameroon who has been living in Libya for three years, agreed. “Insecurity is a 
problem that affects everyone,” he said, stressing that Africans are most at 
risk because “Libyans accuse them of being mercenaries who fought alongside 
Kadhafi’s forces.” — AFP


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke