http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/05/world/middleeast/fighting-escalates-in-syrian-city-opposition-says.html?ref=global-home&_r=0

Massacre of Syrian Soldiers in Iraq Raises Risk of Widening Conflict
 
Khalil Ashawi/Reuters
Damaged areas in Deir al-Zour, an eastern city, on Sunday. 

By DURAID ADNAN and RICK GLADSTONE
Published: March 4, 2013 
BAGHDAD, Iraq — More than 40 Syrian soldiers who had sought temporary safety in 
Iraq from rebel fighters along the border were killed on Monday in an attack by 
unidentified gunmen as the Iraqi military was transporting the soldiers back to 
Syria in a bus convoy, the government said. At least seven Iraqis were also 
reported killed in the attack, which appeared to be the most serious spillover 
of violence into Iraq since the Syrian conflict began two years ago. 

Multimedia
 Video Feature 
Watching Syria's War
Residents of Raqqa Destroy Statue of Hafez al-Assad
 Map 
Map of the Northern Front of the Syrian War
Related
  a.. Kerry Criticizes Iran and Russia for Shipping Arms to Syria (March 5, 
2013) 
  b.. Assad and British Official Trade Verbal Blows Over Syrian Conflict (March 
4, 2013) 

Ali al-Musawi, a spokesman for Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki, accused 
“armed groups from the Iraqi and Syrian side” of coordinating the attack, which 
he described as an ambush. He said Iraq would deploy more security forces on 
the border. Middle East experts said such a move raised the risk that the 
Iraqis could become more directly enmeshed in the Syrian conflict, underscoring 
how it threatens to destabilize a wider swathe of the region. 
“We will not allow any terrorist to enter the Iraqi lands,” Mr. Musawi said in 
a telephone interview. He said the ambush was partly the consequence of 
“sectarian speeches that encourage people to hate each other.” 

Mr. Musawi did not specify which armed groups he was alluding to, but it was 
clear that he meant Sunni militant extremists affiliated with Al Qaeda in Iraq. 
These groups have become increasingly emboldened by popular Sunni resentment 
against Mr. Maliki, a Shiite who is accused by critics of trying to marginalize 
Iraq’s Sunni population since the American occupation of Iraq ended in 2011. 

The Al Nusra Front, a Sunni insurgent force in Syria that has become known for 
its audacious attacks on government targets, has links with Al Qaeda in Iraq, 
and American officials have blacklisted it as a terrorist organization. But 
many Iraqi Sunnis sympathize with the Syrian insurgents, who are overwhelmingly 
Sunni and whose clan relations span national boundaries. 

“A number of us have been saying that Iraq is the one most affected by the 
meltdown in Syria,” said Joshua M. Landis, director of the Center for Middle 
East Studies at the University of Oklahoma and curator of the Syria Comment 
blog, which has chronicled the Syrian conflict. 

“In that region, the tribes go right across the Syrian border, and most of the 
people are related by blood,” he said. “They’re in one common struggle.” 

Mr. Maliki has not expressed outright support for President Bashar al-Assad of 
Syria, whose minority Alawite sect is an offshoot of Shiite Islam. Mr. Assad’s 
allies in the region are the government of Iran, which is majority Shiite, and 
Hezbollah, the Shiite militant group that is a powerful political force in 
Lebanon. 

But last week, Mr. Maliki warned that a victory for the Syrian insurgency could 
create a Sunni extremist haven in Syria and incite sectarian mayhem in his own 
country as well as in Lebanon and Jordan. All three countries, along with 
Turkey, are hosts to hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees, mostly Sunnis. 

According to accounts from Mr. Musawi and other Iraqi officials quoted by 
Western news agencies, the ambushed Syrian soldiers originally crossed into 
Nineveh Province, Iraq, over the weekend to escape attacks by insurgents at the 
Yaarubiyeh border crossing. In returning them, Iraqi soldiers put the Syrians 
on a bus headed for a different border post, in Anbar province, partly to avoid 
the same hostilities the Syrians had fled. 

But the bus, part of an Iraqi military convoy, was attacked as it neared the 
al-Waleed crossing by gunmen armed with mortars, automatic weapons and 
improvised bombs, who appeared to have advance knowledge of the convoy route. 
Agence France-Presse quoted an Iraqi army officer, Lt. Col. Mohammed Khalaf 
al-Dulaimi, as saying that at least three vehicles were destroyed. 

The Syrian state-run news agency SANA made no immediate mention of the ambush, 
but it quoted Mr. Maliki as saying he supports a peaceful solution of the 
Syrian conflict and that “vandalism and the use of arms will lead nowhere.” 

News of the ambush came as Syrian rebel fighters claimed other gains against 
the government on Monday, notably the seizure of the contested north-central 
city of Raqqa following days of heavy clashes. Rebel videos uploaded on the 
Internet showed activists smashing a statue of President Assad’s father, Hafez, 
in the central square to punctuate their victory. 

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based group with a network 
of contacts in Syria, quoted a lawyer in Raqqa as saying the rebels had 
captured the provincial governor, Hasan Jalali, and the secretary general of 
the Raqqa branch of Mr. Assad’s ruling Baath Party, Suleiman al-Sleiman. If 
confirmed, they would be among the highest-ranking officials detained by 
insurgents. 

It was unclear late Monday whether the insurgents could retain control of 
Raqqa, a strategic city on the Euphrates River. But if they can, it would be 
the first provincial capital completely taken over by the armed resistance. For 
the government, the loss of Raqqa would diminish the prospects that Mr. Assad’s 
military, now fighting on a number of fronts, could retake large areas of 
northern and eastern Syria from the rebels. 

An activist reached by phone in Raqqa, Abu Muhammad, said: “The only place 
still under control of the regime, in the entire province of Raqqa, is the 
military security building.” 

Earlier Monday, anti-Assad activists reported heavy fighting in Homs between 
rebels and government forces backed by tanks and warplanes. 

The clashes in Homs, a central Syrian city that had been quiet recently, seemed 
to shift attention from the northern city of Aleppo, where fighting had swirled 
for days around the Khan al-Asal police academy. Both sides in the civil war, 
which has claimed an estimated 70,000 lives, acknowledged relatively high death 
tolls there. 

The pro-government Al-Watan newspaper accused opposition fighters on Monday of 
massacring 115 police officers and wounding 50 at Khan al-Asal. On Sunday, the 
Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said 200 government soldiers and rebels had 
been killed. 

In an interview published in The Sunday Times of London, Mr. Assad assailed 
Britain’s suggestion that it may provide more than just nonlethal aid to his 
enemies. He also restated his opposition to peace talks with armed insurgents. 

“How can we ask Britain to play a role while it is determined to militarize the 
problem?” Mr. Assad said. “How can we expect them to make the violence less 
while they want to send military supplies to the terrorists?” 

William Hague, Britain’s foreign secretary, said Mr. Assad’s remarks “will go 
down as one of the most delusional interviews that any national leader has 
given in modern times.” 

Duraid Adnan reported from Baghdad, and Rick Gladstone from New York. Reporting 
was contributed by Hania Mourtada from Beirut, Lebanon, Alan Cowell from London 
and a New York Times employee from Damascus. 


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke